Tone of Fixed vs. Cathode Bias

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bobbyk, Feb 20, 2012.

1. bobbyk

bobbyk TDPRI Member

Okay, take the same 2 x 6L6 amp. Is there a noticeable difference in the tone if the amp had fixed bias as opposed to cathode bias? Noticeable enough that doing a fixed/cathode mod would be worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

There is still a lot of room for other parts of the circuit to have large effects on the outcome. The presence and size of the cathode bypass cap has a major effect on the feel or a cathode biased output stage,

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Put a 1000uF cap across the cathode resistor to get an idea on the difference. Tried it on one amp I have and while I can hear a subtle difference when I switch it in it does not change the sound much. As celeste says, other parts may determine how much of an effect it has. I have a feeling it would not make much difference with my combination. Not going by experience but I have the feeling it would be more noticeable the higher in power the amp.

4. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Don't forget, Vak changes switching between the two, unless you turn the B+ on the fixed configuration by an amount equal to the bias voltage of the cathode biased configuration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.