1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Master, which one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:25 AM.

1. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations!

I’ve been leaning toward the TMTR myself and would probably already have one except our church has stopped having music for now.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I noticed the same thing.

The TMDR has the brightness I expect from a DR.

The TMDR is much darker than any TR (or DR or VR) I’ve plugged into. Too dark for me.

But mainly I’m on the other side of the breakup equation as you. I like breakup. So the TMDR was the right call for me.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I probably would have walked out with it today except its possible our area will soon go to full lockdown again so I'm waiting.
    As of Monday all of the Toronto and surrounding area thats considered GTA will be on full lockdown.
    So its likely not long before all of our province is on full lockdown.

That Cal Webway and black_doug like this.
  4. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I think I figured out how the New Blonde Tonmasters can use the lower watt neo speakers. Granted, I'm not an expert. The twin reverb shows it is 200 watts at 4 ohms. If fender is using 2 8 ohm speakers, then does that mean the watts get cut in half?

In other words on the Blonde TMDR, if it is also 4 ohms and the speaker is 8 ohms, the actual watts would then be closer to 50?

I couldn't find the Blonde TMDR maunal. But, I did find the Blonde Twin Reverb that shows it rated at 4 ohms.

Just trying to figure out how 100 Watts into a 60 watt speaker works.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1...ter-Twin-Reverb-Amp-Blonde.html?page=3#manual

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you think Fender is selling amps knowing each one is a warranty claim for an underrated blown speaker?

They are using 100w of digital “power” to avoid digital clipping when delivering the equivalent of 22w tube reverb output.

The output of the amp is roughly 22w. Plenty under the speaker rating.

scelestus and Askwhy like this.
  6. saleake

saleake TDPRI Member

I use my Tone Master Deluxe in a country band where everyone is mic’d. It is plenty loud and only 23 lbs.

7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

A 23 pound amp is pretty nice. A 33 pound twin is something special as well. The difference in tone between a 1X12 and a 2X12 is epic for me. I wish I could be happy with a 1X12 but when I hear a 2X12 its no contest. For the sake of a couple hundred bucks and 10 more pounds the twin is how I'm leaning.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Usually when I play through a twin its with a Tele and the bright switch off and treble on about 2 or 3. I find with the TMTR I like the bright switch on and treble between 4 and 6. Maybe with other guitars you might need more treble than what the amp can deliver but it seems like it would work for me.

9. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Not really sure the point of your question. I'm simply trying to understand the difference in speaker choices from the blonde with the neo rated at 60 watts. And the regular one that uses a Jensen N12 K rated at 100 watts.

You might have answered my question though.

10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

The answer is get the one that sounds better to you. You don't need to worry about the wattage. It's a long and complicated conversation and plenty of info out there but rest assured either will be fine for the TMDR.

Telepi likes this.
  11. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Yep i use the bright switch on mine too, and i usually don't on Fenders with a strat. Sounds great though and love having the choice. Treble higher and bright switch off vs treble lower and switch on can both sound good but different for sure. I like options (well, simple options, i do hate digital menus with a bajillion choices and edits for everything). Go get it so you can enjoy it for the whole lockdown if it happens. The logic of waiting doesn't make sense to me, even if you won't be using it for church/gigs you can enjoy the heck out of it and get to know it.

12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I spent 2 hrs listening to someone play jazz thru a TMTR yesterday. The amount of bottom end available from two 12” speakers is admirable.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i used a deluxe TM for P&W at our church and it was much more than adequate. i never turned the attenuator above 5, volume on 3-4. we had no drums at that time, just bass and two guitars. the other guitar player used a mustang amp. our sanctuary probably holds about 75-80.

this amp was given to me as a Christmas gift and i have really enjoyed it. it's probably all the amp i'll ever need. but if i had been buying, i would have bought the twin. but truly, the deluxe is probably the better choice.

Mike M likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

As an LEO, I used to do burglary patrol, checking doors. Frequently churches were unlocked, musical equipment within easy reach. :eek:

harpdog and That Cal Webway like this.
  15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm late to this show, but;

For the weight saving and cost benefits, I would go with the 1x12 Deluxe.

I'm more and more a fan of
    *light weight
    and,
    * really good 1x12 amp formats

I have owned some twins (2x12) amps before, one back in the 1970's and a few more recently, and I used to believe that two speakers equated to a better sound and audience projection.

In the end, they just hurt my back loading in and out, and the pain wasn't worth the nebulous sonic difference.
    (Particularly when I'm mic'ing to the PA anyway.)

Now, all that said.
    If I were going to drop that kind of money, I would just go with the Blue Junior tube amp with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker and be done with it.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...TRYKze1xbg7w_ZmBCdBoCiV8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

;)

16. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

I’m holding out for the TMTB (‘59 tweed Bassman) I’ll take a quad of alnicos in mine. Dreaming. But wouldn’t that be cool!

black_doug, thunderbyrd and Tim S like this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think a lot of people seem to forget that fundamentally, a Twin and a Deluxe are two pretty different sounding amps. 6V6s are going to have a very different feel and breakup compared to 6L6s, and the Tonemasters' modeling is going to factor this in. A Twin Tone Master isn't simply a louder Deluxe Tone Master with an extra speaker.

I've really been enjoying my Deluxe TM. It's also a fantastic recording tool - I haven't touched any of my amp plugins since getting it.

Tim S, thunderbyrd and MilwMark like this.
  18. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I never played a TMTR so I cannot comment on the differences. I ordered the TMDR based on the weight. I also knew that GC's return policy was available so it was basically a risk free decision. I liked the DR quite a bit. Since I installed the firmware update, I REALLY love it!

thunderbyrd likes this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm pretty illiterate on tech, what does the firmware update do?

20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

You can remove the bright cap on the Vibrato channel, and the Reverb is much more refined, before you really couldn't turn it past 3, now usable practically till the end of the dial

rsclosson and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.