1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Master, which one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 20, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Your philosophy and attitude seem similar to mine. I would approach this by not expecting it to necessarily compete with the tube amps I've played or owned but judge whether its a good sounding amp or not.
    It would likely not replace my tube amp as I need something to spend my money on putting tubes in.:D

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

This article says they think the Tone Master Twin is closer to the real thing than the Deluxe model.

https://guitar.com/review/amplifier/fender-tone-master-deluxe-reverb-and-twin-reverb/

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

My experience of any gear left at a church is open season to plug in by anybody that walks by...

4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I own a TMDR and I also tested a TMTR. I decided to buy the TMDR because it's lighter, sounds better at low volumes and I don't need the extra volume of the Twin.

MilwMark, golfnut and Mike M like this.
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Get the twin. Not much bigger or heavier, you like 2x12 which gives a fuller sound, tilt back legs, bright cap SWITCH (i have a longstanding hatred of the utter idiocy of having a bright cap that is not on a switch, such a great tone shaping tool for SOME rigs/situations). It has the 22 watt setting as well as 40, 12, etc (funny coincidence about those numbers, maybe they understand that its cool to have a twin, super, deluxe, princeton, champ, without a deep dive menu?) I had a silverface twin for years with great speakers, the TMTR is just as good sounding. Oh and if you do need to go silent at church, you just hit the mute and use the awesome DI (TMDR has this too). You will love whichever one, can't wait to see your first post after you use it at church.

Tim S likes this.
  6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I chose the TM Deluxe which is more power than I need. I love it.

Mike M and MilwMark like this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I've got several nice tube amps including a DRRI and I have a TMDR. I prefer the TMDR to the DRRI because it's so close that the added conveniences of the TM outweigh any differences.

Ignatius and MilwMark like this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Recently turned 70, have a fairly healthy back, and want to keep it that way. With that in mind, I decided to convert my 1968 TR to either a TMTR or TMDR for weight reasons. The TMTR was my first choice to replace the power of my old Twin. However, the DI out on the TMDR would allow me to use it through the PA if necessary, so an even trade was arranged: my Twin Reverb for a TMDR. It has proven to have more than sufficient clean volume for my needs, sound and tone are spot on, much to my liking, and 23 lb pleases my back a bunch. YMMV.

Mike M likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

You traded a 68 Twin reverb for a TMDR?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine had a guitar stolen from the stage of a church, right after the service when people were walking around. That's not the weirdest part - he told me it actually happened twice.

11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I looked at them a few months ago, I really didn't see any reason to choose the Deluxe over the Twin. The Twin does everything the Deluxe does and more at essentially the same price.

thunderbyrd and black_doug like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I didn't realize. Never been in one.

RomanS, ce24 and Mexitele Blues like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Except the tone and response is different. The DR wants to break up past a certain point. The TR really doesn’t.

Even with the power scaling, because of 2 efficient speakers it is hard to get breakup from the TR at useable volumes.

Personally I didn’t feel like the dynamics of the TR were modeled as convincingly as the DR. Maybe Fender has tweaked that since.

14. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I like the blond version. But the neo cream G12 only says 60 Watts. Yet it's a 100 watt amp. I know its supposed to simulate 22 watts at full power. Yet, that woud be 100 watts. Yes? If there were two neo's like the twin, I can see splitting the watts between them. But with the dr, that's 100 watts into one speaker. Can these neo's really safely handle 100 watts?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...xe-reverb-1x12-inch-100-watt-combo-amp-blonde

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Side note:

I'm a complete sucker for Guitar.com gear reviews ( used to buy the mag. back in the Tower Records days) as they are tasty, thorough, yet usually complimentary.

- I'd go for the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb
    - I never ran out of volume when I owned my ( sadly, missed) '68 DR; its features and tone were perfect.
    I'd be happy with a lighter weight, 'pretty dang close" TMDR.

If only these amps cost less!

16. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Yes.

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

yup. The Twin was being used twice a year, and I have a 70 DR outfitted with a 2x10 baffle sporting 2 JBLD110Fs, and running 6L6s, which was/is my main gig amp. Most of my gigs are VERY low volume assisted living centers, so the Twin was extraneous. Dollar for dollar value I broke even. having bought it three years ago for $400, so it was a win-win for my back. Ymmv

18. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

in the grand TDPRI tradition of helping somebody chose A or B by suggesting C: get a Kemper / Fractal / whatever. Weightless. Versatile. Will delight the sound guy -- plus you can take it home & play around with it during the week. I've had an FM3 for a month now & it's a lot of fun and a great practice tool. And it seems like these things are all the rage amongst the P&W crowd. All those endless reverbs are right there in the box.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  19. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Just got back from the music store they had both the TMDR and the TMTR right next to each other. Got to do a good A\B on them. Its definitely the TMTR for me. It was much fuller sounding and richer. Playing around with the power scaling the DR broke up nicer. Didn't like the sound of the TR over driven. But the clean tone was so much nicer. I'd use pedals for edge of break up and over drive.
    I had to have the treble up much higher than on the real thing. Even had the bright switch on, which is something I never have on a real tube twin or my Pro reverb.

Askwhy, Milspec and black_doug like this.
  20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'll probably never go with a Kemper or Fractal. Just not in to the learning curve. I like to twist a couple knobs and I'm there. Not looking for anything more than the simple blackface tone that I have now. All that those systems offer would be lost on me.

PBO Blues and Tommyd55 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.