1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Master, which one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 20, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I never really paid attention to the Tone Master deluxe or twin but lately I've been looking at them and listened to the pedal show that put the Tone Master Deluxe up against the 65 Reissue. Its got my attention.
    I did briefly plug in to the Deluxe tone master a few months ago when I was trying out one of the new Broadcasters and thought the sound was pretty good.
    I haven't had a reason to go out of the house for playing in the a long time since retiring from gigging but I've been asked to join the Praise and worship band for my church, which I'm still thinking about it.
    However I'm not about to cart my 67 fender pro reverb back and forth to the church. So if I did this I'd like to buy an amp just to leave there or light enough that I could cart back and forth if I wanted to.
    But the decision is which one. I've always preferred the 2X12 speaker configuration but have gotten used to the 1X12 as I've played mostly 1X12 in the past few years.
    Obviously in a church setting it will be low volume so I'm wondering if I'm better off with the deluxe in this situation. If I end up liking them enough I might buy both eventually.

2. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I've played both. I find both enjoyable to play.

Unless you plan on turning it way up to take advantage of the 100 Watt power section, the Deluxe should be just fine for your needs

thunderbyrd and MilwMark like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1. It sounds like you want the Twin, but don't really need it. OTOH, the price difference is not a lot. Hmmm...

4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Depending on the size of your church, the sound guys will likely plead with you to go direct and not use an amp at all. If you do use an amp, either tone master will deliver the goods, just a question of whether 2x12 and the super clean scoop of the twin is more your thing...and the lugging of a larger amp is ok on the hands and back.

Nick-O, 3-Chord-Genius and guitrr like this.
  5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

However, the 2x12 for just $100 more seems to me to make the Twin a much better choice?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. SomeGuyNamedRob

On paper, yes it's a fantastic value.

In reality, buying way more amp than you'll ever use doesn't make much sense.

7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Since when did making sense ever factor into a guitar gear purchasing decision? :lol:

8. SomeGuyNamedRob

Maybe I'm just getting older, but buying an amp that I'll almost never be able to turn up past 1 just seems like a waste.

Most of my amps now are 20 Watts or less, and get connected to a quality attenuator/load box so I can push the amp without blowing out the windows.

Even without attenuation, I can still turn them up a fair bit before they get to be too loud to be practical.

tubedood likes this.
  9. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Well, TBH, my biggest tube amp is six watts and my most powerful amp is a 20-watt Blackstar ID:Core Beam, so perhaps I don't practice what I preach...

10. BigDaddyLH

The Tone Masters are SS, so it's a different story. They also have an output power knob in the back that goes from 1W to 85W. The main thing here to me is the 1x12 versus 2x12 and the different in tone, from the modeling software.

casey2910 likes this.
  11. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I have the Deluxe, and its amazing.

I don' think the Pedal show had the firmware upgrade. With the firmware upgrade, which removes the bright cap and improved reverb the amp is ever better.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would be hesitant to leave an expensive amp at church...they do get targeted for burglary.
    I would go with a Champion 50XL which has plenty power and some nice tones, as well as a price that is an ok risk.
    Then get the TM Twin for home!

Tim S, Tommyd55, jays0n and 1 other person like this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Within the realm of BF circuits, the DR and the TR sound and feel relatively different. The TMs are faithful to those differences.

I personally prefer the DR over the TR for sound and feel so that's the one I grabbed. Hard to go wrong. I rehearse in a feisty punk band with my TMDR and I crank it to 7/8 because I like the amp overdriving and to use the guitar controls for "clean" to "in between" to overdrive. TMDR works great for that and I can use it on the 12w or 5w attenuation setting and be heard just fine.

The TMDR is just physically easier to move because it's a smaller, shorter box. Both are ridiculously easy to move though.

guitrr likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

Does the Church have theft insurance? Just document what you leave there.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

These amplifiers are so light

it's probably best just to take it back home each time!

guitrr likes this.
  16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm leaning towards the TMDR. It might be better to not leave it at the church and the DR would be the easiest to cart. If I ever did get the TMTR I'd mostly use it at home. Even then not sure I'd need it as I like playing my 67 pro reverb at home.
    Any tube guys out there have some comments regarding the Tone Masters compared to their tube amps?

17. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I got a good deal on a Fender Twin '65 reissue for $500 so I bought it even though I didn't need it. I used it for a couple of rehearsals, but I play in low volume situations 99% of the time so I wound up selling it without ever taking it out of the house. My DRRI has been my main amp since I bought it in 1993. Except when I played in a loud classic rock band and used a Marshall half stack.

guitrr likes this.
  18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Regarding the security of our church I don't think there is much to worry about right now. We are located in a very large room in the bottom of what used to be "Eatons Square Mall" many years ago.
    Years ago when the economy fell through for our down town, one of the biggest retailers "The Bay" left soon followed by every other business. Its now mostly taken over by Mohawk College and Laurier University and is monitored with security staff 24X7. The building is right downtown. So I honestly think theft is a low risk. The bad news is our church lease is up next year and the building management won't let us renew as I think the university wants the space. So at this point not sure where we're going.

19. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Just because you never know what's around the corner I'd get the Twin -- it's not that much more expensive and even in the 2x12 format it doesn't weigh that much. And just think of all that clean headroom.

Milspec likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are lots of threads on this. The conclusion is: (1) they are functionally indistinguishable and great amps and (2) they are miles apart and turds, to everything in between.

As someone who has owned way, way, WAY too many BF/SF DRs, to me the TMDR kind of combines the best of my favorites of those, with none of the downsides. The tone and dynamics are there. I'm a player, not a tonemeister so I might not be as picky as some.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.