Tone Master Deluxe Reverb issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bamaguy2522, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It all depends on whether the product is designed to have a long service life or is meant to be a cheap throwaway. People demand cheaper, and that's what they get. Quality remains quality for those who still wish to pay for it. Those sixty year-old tube amps were priced WAY above the cheap stuff we currently have available, and comparing the two is kinda goofy. There are plenty of old tube amps that didn't hold up to the test of time, and nobody talks about them because they wound up in the landfills decades ago.

2. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

I love digital technology. I also was pretty much blown away by the TM amps. But like I’ve said, my fear is getting them serviced if something went wrong, but if it can be done affordably and in a reasonable amount of time then I’m all for these tone master amps.

3. Frodebro

They can easily be serviced, but too many people don't really think about how servicing modern electronics works. With a turret board tube amp you can easily replace individual components, but that's not how modern electronics work. Like computers, defective boards are replaced in their entirety. This puts the task beyond the abilities of the average layman, but that doesn't mean that it cannot be done.

Same thing with cars. When I was in high school, we all could rebuild our carburetors if necessary. Nowadays it's all computer controlled electronic fuel injection. And when something breaks in that system in a car, your average shade tree mechanic my not be up to the task, but a trained tech can deal with it easily.

To keep up with "smarter" technology, you need proper training. Vacuum tube circuits have not been taught in any accredited institutions in the last fifty years, but the circuits are so simple that it doesn't require a lot of specialized training to understand them.

PhredE, Jay Isler and Boreas like this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I can build a DR for about the price of a Tonemaster. I love the smell of solder in the morning!

rocksmoot and TIM5150 like this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My DEC-Jr still works fine. Paid $130 for it I believe. Not a bad investment spread over 10-15 years. It is a practice amp, and is what it is. As long as it works, it doesn't need servicing. When it dies, I won't have it serviced. I may save the speaker. the box, and perhaps the power cord. And buy a TMDR.

Frodebro likes this.
  6. Wipey

Wipey TDPRI Member

I love how EVERY question or discussion about the Tonemasters devolves into yet another tubes vs solid state debate. I have a Deluxe Tonemaster, so I'm curious to see if the OP's dilemma gets resolved, or not. (I have not tried many pedals through mine yet)

popthree, sleekpicker, gazzie and 9 others like this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to try one of the TM amps. I'm sure they sound great.

But the thing I love most about tube amps is that I can sit down at my kitchen table with a soldering iron, a bag full of of components, and a layout, and in a few hours (days) time I can build an amp that will still be working for my grandkids. And they sound great, too!

To me, there's just an amazing sense of pride (and comfort) in knowing that I can pretty much handle anything that befalls my tube amps, versus having to rely on someone else, particularly for digital technology. And I just don't have any faith that ANYTHING today is built to last for the long haul- everything is designed to be cheap, profitable, and eventually disposable.

As far as maintenance costs go, I built my 5e3 clone over 7 years ago, and I've yet to replace the tubes (and I've played it for a few hours every week)- and when I do, it will cost me $32. Not that bad.

dalezjc and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

Imagine the discussions when they first slapped a pickup on a guitar!!

9. Bamaguy2522

Bamaguy2522 TDPRI Member

I’m gonna go through the pedals one at a time with as short a cable as possible and see if it’s a power supply, or individual pedal causing it. Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll get back with some updates!

10. Frodebro

Baby steps. The first thing will be figuring out how to make people understand that a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb is not the same thing as a Peavey Bandit. We have a long, arduous journey ahead of us.

11. Frodebro

The first Fender Broadcasters were met with even greater disdain than current digital amps are.

davidchagrin, sleekpicker and Boreas like this.
  12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

OK, try and get a Cyber Deluxe fixed.

13. Boreas

I don't think anyone here is seriously dissing tube amps. But many players out there can't do what you do, or have time to do it. So where does that leave the multitudes that can't build a tube amp or can't afford a vintage tube amp? Anyone think Fender didn't do their homework before diving into this expensive endeavor?? They are in business to sell good amps and guitars, not heirlooms.

How many great artists over the years built their own amps and guitars? Most bought what they could afford. Heck, some musicians even bought more than ONE amp or guitar over their careers. Some people embrace technology changes - others shun it. That will never change.

davidchagrin and sleekpicker like this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

I'me trying to make sense of this statement.

Why do you have to sell an amp just because it increases in value?

davidchagrin and Wound_Up like this.
  15. Frodebro

It didn't catch on as Fender had hoped it would, and as such they stopped supporting it and the proprietary components are now difficult (or impossible) to find. That's the tricky part with this stuff.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to start butting into threads over on Glowing Bottle and tell people they need to get modelers.

Actually, no I'm not. Momma raised me better than that.

davidchagrin, 11 Gauge, Wipey and 2 others like this.
  17. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

If you are lucky you can find a used TMDR for 550 € ($ 650 ) here in Europe. Are you really able to build a DR with an attenuator, 23lbs, Jensen lightweight speaker, light pine cabinet, original Fender faceplate and grill cloth, without the typical tremolo ticking and hiss of a DRRI for $650?

davidchagrin and Bandboy like this.
  18. Frodebro

Generally, people who are into modelers have no beef with tube amps whatsoever. Most even (gasp) own some themselves!

19. Frodebro

Not with decent components. I've had the chassis out of my DRRI, and it's a toy compared to the build quality of my Mesas.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

You are making quite an assumption. How can anyone know how long an amp that has been on the market for 1 year is going to last?

There are digital amps that have been around far longer than 10 years that are still working.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.