Tone Master Deluxe Reverb issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bamaguy2522, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They did for a very long time, but digital is catching up fast-especially with the current trend of silent stages. Metallica and Def Leppard use Axe-FX IIIs for their live shows, Mark Knopfler used Kemper. There are plenty more, but those were the "big names" that popped into my head. Lots of younger bands are running Helixes, as is Richie Castellano of Blue Oyster Cult. Digital is out there if you take the time to look for it, probably just as much as tube amps are if you take the time to look for them.

northernguitar and telemnemonics like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I suggested the PS might be delivering low voltage that would make dirt pedals muddy and dark, like seven pages back.
    The OP did say he was going to try isolating pedals etc but I didn’t see a post explaining results?
    Maybe we drove him off with our debating?

pugnax likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

What makes you say that?

You should really try actually eating a cat turd sandwich. Your opinions might not change, but they would be much more informed.

4. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

Sure looks like Tube Amps to Me. I can put as long a list as I wish here from the last 5 years or less of guitar players from several genres of music who are using Tube Amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRReg08kRrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJrPnIa9Jtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHAMKn1LO08

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Your logic, originality, and wit are simply too overwhelming. I surrender. Congrats on a debate well won, sir.

davidchagrin likes this.
  6. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

THE END.

This Thread ran off the rails and I helped contribute to it with many others.
    My apologies to the Original Poster.
    Now we have folks getting too personal. Not good for the long term survival of a guitar thread.

7. MrWiggly

MrWiggly TDPRI Member

Ah, someone asks for advice on a problem and we get yet another episode of "digital sucks compared to tubes". And if you like the Tone Master concept you are "old", "boomer", "afraid of technology", "lacking in knowledge", "lazy" and so on. So much for gear discussions. This is, as it has been for a long time, an argument that boils down to "you don't know what you're talking about" in response to "you don't know what you're talking about". Some of us may have something concrete to contribute being experienced, knowledgable, and having first hand use of the subject at hand. But why would we even try to muscle our way in with the occupants of the clown car of snark muddying the waters endlessly?

Anybody wants some info from someone with first hand experience with vintage tube amps versus the Tone Master series please PM me.

8. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Hopefully the OP is going to resolve his issue. I f I ever want to buy one it’d be nice to know. Inquiring minds want to know.

davidchagrin, SRHmusic and Hpilotman like this.
  9. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Did you know that the first electric locomotive was invented and built by Scottish inventor Robert Davidson in 1837?

Indian Joe, Galen1960 and Ignatius like this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I often wonder whether the people with such strong and arguably obnoxious opinions about gear can actually play the instrument well. The best players I know focus on the music. The gear is just a toolset.

11. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the fact that you only mention the DI option of the TM Super Reverb, but the mic'ing of the tube amp. It's not a valid comparison because you CAN mic the TM. You don't like the TM, that's a valid opinion, no need for false comparisons.

Frodebro and MilwMark like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's nothing to know really. They respond great to pedals. Just like any other quality amp. The OP has a unique issue (either a defect in his signal chain or in his amp unit).

Rockinvet and telemnemonics like this.
  13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Such a bummer for him. Tried one out a week or so ago at GC and thought it was great. Just like anything else manufactured there’s bound to be some glitches.

14. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

You sure it's a valid opinion if he hasn't even tried one?

iam4grace likes this.
  15. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Do opinions have to be based on facts??? :D

Arfage and Askwhy like this.
  16. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Holic

Ha! Good point.

teletail likes this.
  17. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a TMDR, and I briefly had a similar experience to OP with two ODs though the vibrato channel. In my case, it was pedal power--I switched from a 1-Spot to a Voodoo Iso-5--and also the firmware update. The original firmware, with the virtual bright cap, sounded much more bassy with pedals. The update made enough of a difference that I reloaded the original firmware just to re-check.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So which thing exactly was the problem?

Are you saying the one spot running two OD pedals made them sound bad through the TM?

Or the earlier firmware made the amp sound bad in the same way the OP described (bassy, dark), so you updated the firmware and it then sounded great with your OD pedals?

Then to confirm, you reloaded the old firmware and it went back to sounding bassy and dark with OD pedals?

That's very useful info if true!
    Seems odd for Fender to release what most think of as a clean pedal platform amp, without thoroughly testing it with OD pedals first?
    And that's really the primary question with tech that isn't tube.
    Clean is easy to do with any tech, but tubes generally reign for dirt, and overdriving a digital circuit sounds terrible, so by now we've had two decades of development going into making digital modelers that can handle OD into the front end, not just well but AS WELL as tube amps.

Funny how many decades it took for players to decide SF amps were great, while TM amps were embraced so fast.
    If the first firmware version sounded bad with OD pedals?

Can we really trust the internet for gear reviews?

Care to clarify?

sleekpicker and northernguitar like this.
  19. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The 1-Spot added noise, which didn't help. I think the main difference was the firmware update. The issue didn't arise at first, because I played for a while either straight into the amp, or only with an EP Booster at unity gain for some sparkle. When I finally bought a true OD (sweet deal on a used JHS Double Barrel) and went through the vibrato channel, I noticed the bassiness, mostly with the TS half engaged at low to low-mid volumes. Also, it occurs to me that the issue was more pronounced with the humbuckers in my semi-hollow, though definitely present with single coils.

This issue was not unique to the TMs--bright cap clips were common--and it's interesting to me that the less desirable foibles of the amp were modeled pretty faithfully, along with the desirable ones.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a hard time thinking about how a digital modeling amp handles a distorted signal coming from a dirt pedal vs. an unadulterated signal coming straight from a guitar. Unlike true analog (whether solid state or transistor), I'm thinking the algorithm for AD conversion had better be super robust with an extremely high sampling rate, or else there will be potentially audible digital artifacts. Sometimes I plug dirt pedals into VSTs in REAPER and it seems to work OK, but that's recording, not live. I find these things tend to be more audible when playing live at gig volumes. YMMV and all that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.