Tone like Hot Rod Deluxe but better reliability

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jakaj, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I have gone through a lot with my HRD (it is a USA made early 90s model) modded it a bit, found valves I agree with (6l6 TAD premiums +mid bias, TAD cz in V1, JJ in V2, and another TAD cz in V3). I clipped the brightness on the reverb - and fitted a C Rex speaker - also re-tolexed it in dark red and replaced the mesh with a gold one.

I love this amp in all aspects (even the drive channel is perfectly usable - well not the red but the yellow) but one - it keeps developing issues, most recently, V3 started cutting out - I replaced it, but it still cuts to half volume after loud playing - I fear a trace is broken.Bottom line - I just don't trust it to gig with anymore. I wonder if in your collective experience you have come accross similarly thick yet glassy clean - crunch tone animal? I understand it may cost more -as far as I can see Morgan MVP23 is an awesome option, I also like the PRinceton 65, though it is a tad quiet for me (bars with limited PA).
    I am currently making do with a Bogner Alchemist 1x12 (also with a C rex - the V30 was just harsh in there).

So any suggestions are welcome - I am looking to expand my search of reasonably priced used amps and so the more I learn, the easier it is to find a good deal - and I may learn of some new amps in the process.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That amp is based in the 5F6A world. The
    SuperSonics have a channel like that one. The Fender Pro Sonic is the best built amp of that sort from Fender, IMHO. They were built from 1996-2002.....superior build to anything except the handwired Custom Shop amps and more versatile than any CS amp. Have you played through a tweed Bassman RI?

3. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Hey Wally, thank you for your reply, this is exactly the kind of information I needed.
    I haven't played a reissued tweed Bassman - but will now certainly make it my business to try one. I have played a few Supersonic 22 and Supersonic 60 amps. I really bonded with the 60 Bassman channel but found the 22 a tad "shallow" - never knew if it was the amp or just the speaker difference as well as just trying in stores never really gives the full extent of the amp's potential (bias, loudness, room, speaker or valve change...). The Pro Sonic sounds like another amp I will try given the chance.

4. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I wonder though, how is the build quality of the Supersonic 60 range?

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Pro Tube Series Concert or Super Amps worth a look if you can find one.
    Master volume, but you may need to kick the front end depending how gainy you need it to get..

PCB, but very sturdy built, all plywood cabs, Super has 4 Alnico Blue frames, full tube reverb send/receive.

6. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Thank you for the input. I have never even seen a Concert in person, but as far as I can tell they only come in 4x10 (XL). I will keep an ear out for sure! I have been wondering about the Deluxe 68 RI, either Deluxe Reverb or Twin - I really liked the Princeton 65 RI but I fear both the DR and PR are just not loud enough for gigging without going through the PA.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

If you want reliability and ease of mind I highly recommend a handwired eyelet/turret/PTP amp, which can actually be had for very reasonable prices. If having the 'Fender' name on your amp is a must, then you will have to pay considerably more, gotta pay for the name..

Plenty of PCB stuff that will hold together reasonably, but I dont trust any of those newer cheap reissue PCB amps. They're also much more of a pain to fix when they do break, IME.

I would rate the supersonic and reissue PCB amps nearly equally as reliable as your failing HRD

8. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I am not hung up on brands at all. I wonder, did you have any specific amp in mind? I am especially interested in the reasonable prices ;). I do imagine these are less reasonable over here in Europe. It could be I just didn't know where to look. I played a PTP Vox AC30 next to a PCB one, and (I think at least) I could clearly hear the difference.

9. Wally

The Pro Sonic is built to a much higher standard than the other Fenders mentioned. I prefer the build of the SuperSonics above the Blues/Hot Rod amps in that the Super Sonics like the Reissue amps have chassis mounted tube sockets all tube processing....the Blues/Hot Rods have solid state reverb circuits. Fwiw, I am not the biggest fan of the SuperSonics, either.
    If you run across a Rivera amp like a Fandango, R55, etc they have one channel that is based on the 5F6A and one based on the AB763. Very nice amps...geared toward the pro but very reasonably priced on the used market, ime.

10. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Ok so that's gold right there, because I have been coming upon Rivera amps locally, and this means it's time for me to study up on Rivera models - there are currently 4 selling locally, three (Knucklehead, Quiana studio, fiftyfive twelve) are too expensive and one (clubster 45) is accessible - but none are the ones you mention. I like this, ever since I decided to go up in qualitiy, quite a few options present themselves (Morgan amps, Victory V50, the Fenders and Riveras above...).

11. Wally

The '55 12' there is the R55 with one 12".....or should be by that description. Great amp, IMHO. The clubster 45 is 'accessible' because it does a considerable amount of single processing in the solid state domain...overdrive and reverb are not in the tube domain. It is a less expensive amp than its big brother the Try it....you might like it. It's big brother, the Clubster 55, is all tube...and more expensive. I prefer tubes for signal processing.

12. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

I contacted the man selling it. He doesen't want a trade (I have a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 that is too large and just a tad too hi-fi for my needs) - but I'll go and give the amp a try, just to see what's what, and if it sounds good, I just may buy it. He wants 700 EUR (final price), that seems within reach.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.