1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone King Imperial Tube Rectifer

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sonofrock82, May 1, 2010.

1. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Hi, I found my dream amp, the Tone King Imperial!! I have try one in NY few month ago and I remember is really loud...so I'm afraid I can't use weel in italian small club...It's a cathode bias amp, so I'd like to know:
    is it possible change the 5ar4 tube rectifer with a 5y3 as the Tweed Deluxe?
    If yes, this lower the wattage? And the volume too??
    Does this get me an early breakup?

Thanks so much!!!

2. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Nobody? Please...

3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is possible--but if it was not designed for that, it might cause trouble with the voltages to the power tubes, running them too low. It will lower the power output, but not by a whole lot, maybe 10-15%, which will not make the amp seem much quieter. But it will help.

The website it runs 6V6GTs for 20-30 watts, so maybe a 5Y3GT will work. The other thing to think about is a less-efficient speaker. Tone Kings' website doesn't mention specifications on their speaker, but if the speaker is very efficient, a lower-efficiency replacement might help, as well.

Most of the boutique dealers are very good about answering questions like this, so I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you send them an email and ask them.

Good Luck

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

As suggested, you should email Mark Bartel at Tone King. He will respond to your question pretty quickly, even if you bought the amp used. I bought my Meteor II used and he was very helpful with me.

I've yet to play a better amp, (vintage or otherwise) than a Tone King.

5. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

I'd write or email the manufacturer.

6. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Thanks to all, I write to Mark but he doesn't reply me.. so I post here where there are so many experts of building amps!!! And then I think chaniging tubes is more faster way and get the amp more usable for loud situation or not, changing the speaker is a little less easy!

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I don't think tube swapping is the way to go. It's still going to be pretty loud. You could just turn down and use an OD pedal for breakup in small rooms.

8. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

And if I swamp the preamp tube to 12AT7 will incrase the gain only?

9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

That won't increase the gain, quite the opposite.

Sticking in a 5Y3 would be a fairly "safe" move to drop the headroom, but whether it sounds good is up to your ears. ;)

- Scott

10. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Thanks my friends for all your helps!!! The Imperial is really expensive and I can' try it well 'cause I'm in Italy so befeore I buy it I'm searching more info than I can!!

11. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Thanks my friends for all your helps!!! The Imperial is really expensive and I can' try it well 'cause I'm in Italy so befeore I buy it I'm searching more info than I can!!

12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One more thing: Maybe you can try an attenuator. I know it's a compromise, but if you get to the gig and find you don't need it you can elect not to use it. That way you don't have to worry about changing the tubes to something that may not be appropriate for the amp.

13. Louthunder

Louthunder Tele-Holic

Give Mark a chance,it is the weekend you know, and he deserves a day off too!

14. sonofrock82

sonofrock82 Tele-Meister

Hi, what would be the best attenuator? It will be lightweight!

15. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Tone King builds GREAT sounding amps. I've played both the Continental and Imperial and was floored in both cases. They sound so good I'd hate to think of intrusive mods.

I'd start fiddling with lower gain tubes in the input section before a speaker swap or attenuator.

Definitely ask for Mr. Bartel to share his expertise before you compromise such a wonderful box!

16. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lower gain tubes won't actually make the amp any quieter, they'll just change the reactions to the volume knob a bit. The amp will still be making the same 20ish watts as distortion sets in wether there's a 12AY7 or a 12AX7 in there. Perhaps the amp can utilize 6K6GT tubes, about 1/4 less powerful, but not as hardy...might just work with the 5Y3, though. Might be tougher to come by in Italy, though, I don't think anyone currently makes them.

A less efficient speaker will produce less sound, thereby making the amp quieter. An attenuator will turn some of the amplifiers wattage into heat, making the amp quieter. Stripping away half of the power (@10 watts) won't make it quieter by half, but should make it noticably quieter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.