Tone King Gas Attack

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Crazy neddie, May 24, 2015.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Hey all, I took a ride yesterday to a shop that had a few amps I wanted to check out. I tried a Swart, a Morgan SW22R and a Tone King Imperial. Cut to the chase. The Tone King absolutely blew me away. I loved it. Magical cleans, and that attenuator sounded incredible. So many flavor of breakup available even on the rhythm channel alone. The cabinet was so resonant, it filled the room. It was very light too. The reverb was excellent. I've been looking at vintage DR's for a while and this really had that and some other things going on. Only thing I could find not to like was the price. Any TK fans out there able to school me on these?

2. teleconvertMij

teleconvertMij Tele-Meister

Owner of a Metropolitan here. Amazing amp, dream tone!
    I can wholeheartedly say - if you can stretch that far financially you will NOT regret it. Mark Bartel's amps are simply wonderful.
    On top of that he is really helpful with any query you might have.
    I contacted him once with a technical question and pointed out that mine was second hand. Had a reply 3 hours later!! Very kind and very helpful and very modest.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I had a Meteor II, and it was an incredible amp. Yup, great amps.

4. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

I recently purchased an Imperial MKII and absolutely love it. I find the tones amazing and the amp is very versatile. It covers all the vintage Fender BF and Tweed sounds and more. It sounds a whole lot better than my 1966 Fender Princeton Reverb. I ended up selling off a few amps as I could not see me using them anymore.

I have owned a few vintage Fender amps and a Swart, but the Imperial is the amp I been searching for.

Attached Files:

5. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Wow that's nice. Do you like to spend your time on the clean channel or the lead channel?

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Very nice amp. Wish I had the coin..

7. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

That amp has a great attenuator that makes it very versatile. For example for low volume at home playing I can run the volume at 2 on the clean channel with the attenuator bypassed for the clean channel. I can switch to the lead channel with the volume at like 6 or 7 and match the volumes using the attenuator for great crunch. Can switch between them for clean and dirty.

To answer your question it depends on what I am playing. I use both the clean (rhythm channel) and lead channel pretty much equally. Like owning two amps sometimes.

8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It is the amp of choice for Greg Koch on all those Wildwood Guitar videos. Him, an axe, a BB boost pedal and the Tone King.

9. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

Yes, Greg's video was a major factor in buying the Tone King as I love the tone he got on all those videos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.