Tone is in the fingers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lareplus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

If you would like me to be a member for half a decade before I post an opinion cause that would make my post more valid..then I could do that.. if I live that long..I don't know much,I admit, but surely I have learned something I can contribute along the way..Meanwhile I will keep your Question in mind.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Put your fingers in your ears. Hear anything?

Tone is NOT in the fingers.

3. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

:p:p

4. Tommy B

Tommy B Tele-Meister

If fingers don't effect the tone of guitar, do lips effect the tone of a trumpet???

An incorrect embrasure will cause any wind instrument to have bad tone. The embrasure is an active point on contact between the player and the instrument and the initiating source of the instrument's sound and quality, timbre, and color of the sound - AKA tone. Having a correct embrasure comes from knowledge, practice, skill, and technique.

Incorrect and/or poorly executed fingering and picking/bowing will cause any stringed instrument to have bad tone. Fingering and picking are active points of contact between the player and the guitar and the initiating source of the guitar's sound and quality, timbre, and color of the sound - AKA tone.

Correct and proper fingering and picking comes from knowledge, practice, skill, and technique. Vintage, boutique, prized, highly sought after and coveted guitars, amps, pedals, picks, and strings alleged to have good tone are useless as such if you can't play the damn guitar, keep it in tune, or adjust pots and settings correctly on your gear.

So, Perhaps it is more accurate to say "Tone starts in the fingers" and give this thread some closure.

5. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

That's an incorrect embouchure right there :lol:

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Threads like this are a grim reminder of why aliens feel so compelled to abduct us and insert probes into our orifices.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Is it meaningful to talk about tone in these forums without reference to specific players? It seems to me, that's where the trouble starts (i.e., Joe Blow still sounds like Joe Blow even when he is playing a Squire through a Pignose).

Also, what about those musicians who don't profess to be interested in tone, but instead are focused on response? There may not be many of us, but that's a club I would pay dues for. I like being able to push an amp around and make it do my bidding. It's a give and take process, though, that's for sure.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tone is in the casters?

9. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

..:p

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

11. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

12. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Length of membership is not the issue, its the post count. Must have a post count of 2500+ to have an opinion on tone no matter if it originates in fingers, strings, capacitors, cargo shorts, underpants, or elsewhere. :D

13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Tone is in the wallet.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You didn't voice an opinion. You made a judgement. You said it's "high time some of us dug in deeper and come up with our own great style and feel, and tone." And yet, how would you know? You haven't been around very long to know whether or not people have already done that.

Wouldn't you think, with the age of this forum and the quality of so many of its member, that people have been working on their own style, feel, and tone for years and years?

15. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

The admonition to pursue and develop one's own style is always good advice. And it's true that there is often too much emphasis on copying someone else's style, technique, and tone. In a perfect world it would all be just art. It doesn't help to be defensive.

16. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I've found that the best way to develop your own tone is to copy someone else's (ideally more than one player)

It's in the gaps between what you try to play and what you actually play that you find your own voice.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

18. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

Thanks William Tele... It was Larry F reply that just hit me.. And Larry is right.He is a man with credentials and experience.. He had a kind of humourous way to say just give it up....Thankyou Larry.. I am not sure why I so adamantly argued the tone thing. I still think I am at least partially right though.LOL. But that is only my opinion.
    Yes I have a lot of experience playing music (years wise) but so do many more on this forum. Much more than me in fact. Besides that does not necessarily make me a knowledgeable player...and I don't think I am.
    Kelnet , Sorry but I think the realm of guitars players goes much farther than this forum.. I would not judge another guitar player even if I could.. I was including myself in the statement..You said I haven't been around long enough..Well I have been around a bit longer than you. Going by our birthdates I would say I am about seven years older..I should have worded that "high time"statement different..My mistake...I did not mean for it to be taken the way it was. I should have thought about it before putting mouth in gear. I have not been a member here very long because to be honest I did not know about it.. There are a lot of really good players here and it is a great place for advice..Great forum ...good people.. Many thanks ...Phil

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, on a web forum where everything is said in text, wording is everything. :)

And you know darned well that I meant "around this forum," and not just "around." :lol:

20. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

How long does it take to get tone in your fingers? Or is tone in the fingers something only a select few can achieve?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.