Tone is in the fingers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lareplus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope, but when a guy says it's "high time" we talked about this, he's suggesting that it hasn't been a topic of conversation for a long time.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

High time can affect the way one perceives many things including tone. I have actually seen the notes coming out of an acoustic guitar at one point in my life. I have since put away such things, but I kind of miss looking at the notes, it was pretty cool.;)

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

to the original poster -

"good" tone is in the fingers.

thats why Dickie Betts will always make any guitar thru any amp, sound better than you thru the same equipment.

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Stir. I'm liking this one a lot.

5. Toto'sDad

If tone is in the fingers, why bother with equipment at all? Wouldn't that just dilute the tone of the fingers? What it boils down to is, some guys can play an instrument and make other people want to listen to them, and some can't.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tone is in the wallet.

7. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

These tone threads make me feel tired and old. I'm not saying they aren't valid discussions...

8. Ofeller

Ofeller TDPRI Member

Groove is in the heart.

[content removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  9. Toto'sDad

You got that right old pal, or else people wouldn't be trading houses in on original '52s!!!

10. Toto'sDad

I understand your pain brother, but take a look at a Tele, there ain't much to talk about right there, and even those this is the trunk of the car, it is a Tele forum!:D

11. Frodebro

Hey, if the house don't twang when you spank it, it's time to flip it.

12. Toto'sDad

True dat.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Whoa, this means I could have bought a Gorilla amp a long time ago and been happy.

Better to learn late than never........doh!

14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Beats me.

I don't know if we could agree how to define tone. It seems to come down to:
    1) The difference in sound between a Telecaster / Twin Reverb, versus Les Paul / Marshall Plexi
    and/or
    2) The difference in sound between me playing that Telecaster / Twin Reverb, and someone else playing the exact same rig in the exact same place and time
    Is there a correct, accepted definition for each of these . . . that doesn't involve the word 'tone'?

15. Frodebro

Tone may be in a number of things, but tone isn't in the Gorilla amp.

16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

The only way to dilute the tone in your fingers is if you had a sixth finger. People with 4 fingers have a greater tone per finger ratio.

17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I like the sound I hear when I play a Strat through a Princeton Reverb. I like the sound I hear when I play a P90 LP though a 18W Marshall circuit. I also like the sound I hear when I play a Tele through a 5F2A or a 64 Bandmaster. Mix and match for some other cool sounds. I suck as a player in my mind, I want to be a better player! It can all sound very good, and it can also sound bad. The feel, it's in you some days. Other days it seems to disappear. Tone? It's a knob on my 5F2A.

18. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Oh, it hurts so bad. I switched over to acoustic music in my early 20's and didn't resume this rat race until 2009. About 5 teles and the same number of amps later I am beginning to settle on the the ones I really like. About half of this crazy journey is in the name of "tone". There are SO many amp and pedal choices out there and compared to the options I had when I was a young fart I am in tone heaven. But it doesn't take long to realize that there is no substitution for talent and practice. Those of us that find talent in limited quantities must rely heavily on practice. However, I will still enjoy my new Baja and the expanded "tonal" options it offers.

19. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Here's another illustration on the "tone" conumdrum. There is some thread somewhere on this forum that discusses the pros and cons of Albert Lee's guitar tone. His playing has always been dazzling but he used to do it with a Telecaster on the bridge pickup (as on the early Emmylou Harris recordings). More recently he always plays a Strat style Musicman guitar (an endorsement deal) on that 2nd nasal pickup setting. A lot of us much prefer the tone of his younger days. His playing is still dazzling with a capital D. He still sounds like Albert Lee, I could play either guitar/setting til the cows come home and I will never sound like that. I think most of us are chasing tone with the hopes of recreating what we love to hear.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  20. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

That (with the typo corrected ;)) should appear in large letters at the top of every forum on this site.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.