Tone is in the fingers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lareplus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think that it's part of the chest-thumping thing. If somebody claims that distortion is only good for hiding poor playing, it seems to reason that what they are REALLY saying is "He only sounds like he's a better player than I am because he has a distorted tone to hide behind."

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Distortion can emphasise mistakes, too. It really depends.

Reverb.. Now that's great for hiding mistakes. :D

3. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

everyone knows that tone is in the money that you spend not the time you spend practicing, duh

4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

If you asked Sir Mix-A-Lot, he might possibly propose that tone is in our butts. Our big butts.

5. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

And he quite clearly states that he cannot lie

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried to play my Theremin with my toes... the tone was awful standing on my hands while playing... then I tried my hands and fingers....

oh yeh.... tonefingers indeed.... like magic...;)

[​IMG]

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I compose electronic music, I don't like a lot of reverb, as it washes away details of my sounds. I've learned to accept that everybody else likes a little reverb in my music, so I've managed to strike a balance on that.

On guitar, I also don't like reverb, but I hate dryness even worse. I remember when drums started to be recorded as dry as could be in the early 70s. It was hideous to me. As for me, when playing live, the room itself supplies enough reflection to help with the ambiance. Otherwise, I will use delay. Lately, I have gone back to reverb, using the Fuchs Verbrator after a Maxon AD999 or MXR Carbon Copy in the FX loop of my Quinn Dumble-type amp.

Here is a clip of Lake Street Dive playing live in a very small, dry space: . I hate the dryness, and I would be very unhappy if I had to play in that environment. However, the singer is so amazingly great, her nuances would be washed over with too much reverb.

So, the result is that the performance sounds better without the reverb, I surmise. But the audio quality would sound better, still surmising, with reverb.

I guess this stuff is obvious, but sometimes a clip will come along that nicely encapsulates an idea like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.