Tone is in the fingers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lareplus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting tired of reading that. If tone was in the fingers then any amp would do and none would be better than any other. Nuance and style are in the fingers, dynamics might be in the fingers but amps have characteristics that make them desirable because of their tones.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

What is tone?

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Buy all the fancy gear you want. A good player's attitude and imagination will make it all irrelevant.

4. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I need all the help I can get so need expensive, quality gear !

5. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

exactly.

The euphamistic use of the word tone is not helping.
    tony

6. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Tone is in the air! (Everywhere I look around, etc. etc.)

7. ChordTherapy

ChordTherapy TDPRI Member

Good playing is in the fingers - and the guitar. I can sound like ME through different amps, but not through a crappy guitar. Case in point - I sold an amp this weekend and played this guy's guitar through it to showcase it. Man, I couldn't believe that thing. The wood was dry, strings dirty and dead, and the setup was awful. I can't believe I sold my amp still!

Tone - a result of being a seasoned player, me thinks ...

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Quite. I would imagine the druids and shamans of centuries past would wet themselves laughing at the electric guitarist's willingness to believe in witchcraft, magic, and mojo in the face of science and common sense.

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

10. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Great tone is when the out-coming sound exceeds the sum of it's parts (fingers, guitar, amp). Some guys can make a bad guitar and amp sound good regardless… I am not one of those. Good guitars and amps make guys like me, sound much better than I would without them.

But in the end of the day, you still need all three… BUT the bit that touches the soul comes only from the fingers. When sound caresses your soul, that's TONE.

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I want that pony!!!

12. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Tone comes from seasoned players playing years of gigs. No pedal, amp, is going to achieve this. You'll know when you have it. Dirt and modulations cover up your sound. I've played electric guitars without a amp before and heard comments that I make that guitar sound good. This is the tone in the fingers. Take a basic instrument and make it sound good regardless of the circumstances.

13. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Famous guitar player interview.

Guitar Magazine Dude: "What do you use to turn all of those knobs on your guitar, amplifier, and all of those thingys that you have there?

Famous Awesome Guitar Player Guy: My fingers. I use my brain and my ears to tell me where they should be and then use my fingers to put them there.

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

its definitely in the fingers. its why players like jack white can pick up the crappiest old stencil guitars and amps and make them sound killer. but... in absence of being a killer guitar player, having a great guitar and amp will help fill in the voids a bit :D

15. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Tone is partly in the fingers, partly in the gear, partly in the ability to dial in the gear you have on hand. I heard a record several years ago with Tony Rice and David Grissman. Just the two of them using different vintage instruments on each track. Tony Rice sounded like Tony Rice on each guitar. His touch came through louder and cleared than the differences between each instrument.

I once heard a story from someone who had the opportunity to play through Larry Carlton's rig. He couldn't make himself sound like Larry. Same guitar, same gear, same settings. When Larry plugged back in, lo and behold, Larry's tone showed up.

I think different instruments and amps allow each player the freedom to play like themselves to varying degrees. The gear that gives you the clearest lens for expressing your own internal tone is the gear you will love playing, and that you will play your best through. But even with instruments and amps you don't really care for, your basic tone will tend to show up, because you will be dialing it in to best match what you hear in your head.

OTOH, tone isn't ALL in the fingers. I've heard some of my favorite players get great tone, and sometimes get really awful tone. Sometimes players evolve. Look at the difference in tone between Clapton with the Bluesbreakers, then Cream, then his early '70s solo stuff, and his Soldano-fueled '80s material. Very different tones in each case, and I would argue it had more to do with gear than it did with touch.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  16. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I used to play with a guy that was pretty good. We were recording a song and he was overdubbing some fills on an acoustic guitar. Afterwards, when I was listening to it with engineer, there was a passage that sounded like there was reverb on it. I remarked that it was a nice place to put the effect. The engineer looked at me and said "I didn't put reverb there, he (the player) made it sound that way. You're listening to a dry mix". The guitar he was using was a run of the mill Seagull. Talent creeps out of the most unexpected places. Good gear just enhances it.

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

stroke, pluck, pick, pop, pull, bend, feather, strum, hammer. It's all in the fingers!

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tone is in the dictionary

19. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

If you don't know how the tone is in the fingers, you haven't gotten there yet. Don't argue with the good players that say its in the fingers because they've gotten there.

20. TeleTeebs

TeleTeebs Banned

Santan sounds like santana whether through a dumble or through a pv bandit....The magik IS in the fingers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.