Tone - how do you use technology to get yours?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fozhebert, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Master volume..

I both gig and practice at any level I want with my JMP master Lead II and Mesa Rigs or a DSL40

Can dial them down to practice amp levels with all the natural tube dirt and grit I could ever want.

I am sad for all those sucked into getting non-master volume ‘pedal platform’ tube amps.

I have Boss GT100 multi-fx, app and DAW options, but 99% of the time I will just plug into an MV amp.

Go to pedals have been an MXR microamp to goose the crunch tones and a delay in the fx loop. The JMP is always straight in or poss. goosed with the MXR or a Fulldrive 3

2. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Have a big and small pedalboard for real music and a small boss gt1 for other things :D . But my favorite has always been guitar to a fender amp, use one channel and the neck pickup 99% of the time.

At home it's usually guitar only, don't enjoy electric sound at low volume, plus I'm bored to always connect stuff and turn things on :), so I just pick up a guitar and play.

3. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

1. 'Firebird' mini-humbuckers; no more than two, and mostly bridge position
    2. Mid to High gain solid state amp (preferably with current-drive or transformer-coupled output stage)
    3. If I'm practicing/recording on the computer, I always end up with a cab sim with the "Splawn Quick Rod" impulse response from the "Bestplugins" collection on the end.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Being inherently lazy I often play my very resonant Baja sitting on the sofa. Always within reach and easy to play for a few minutes.

If I'm playing properly then it's the same rig at home, rehearsal or gig. Mustang Gt100 with a handful of my own presets, Joyo od pedal and a Tele.

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I don't use an amp any more either as I only play at home, I use the PC surround sound system for audio with a Line 6 Pod XT Live floorboard to record into a computer DAW. I have Amplitude 3 software also as it has some stella Fender tones on it.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The most important thing for me is a little delay, as if I was playing in a 10 x 12 foot room with cement walls, possibly with a few yards of sheet metal. But balanced so that the delay is barely noticeable.

Lennon used to record with an echo track that usually wasn't used in the mix. But it gave him security and confidence, (I guess because it is easier to sing in tune when trying to blend).

7. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

• Telecaster with three FVN pickups
    • 14W Texas Tone 12 tube amp in the sweet spot
    • Occasionally a tube boost pedal to thicken the Tele
    Whenever I play, I get complements on my tone.

As a side note, on a lark I once showed up to practice with a PRS SE Semi-hollow with DiMarzio air classics and a Palomino V16 amp - 16W 2xEL84. After practice, the other guitar player, who used a Strat with a 100W Marshall stack and a truly massive pedal board, commented that he thought I would have sounded a lot more different. The thing is, I dial in my tone and play my licks.

On the other hand, Mark Daven of the Guitar Radio Show stated that he found my amps to be distinctly different (he played two different ones) and that he found that he approached the guitar differently as he played through each one - playing to the amps strengths.

8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Just a touch of overdrive...barest amount. Maybe a tiny tiny bit of reverb and/or compression. Tiny amounts.
    My idea is to make home sound like I'm cranked 2/3 volume on my tweed Super in a medium "venue".

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guitar- these days a Mustang with Noiseless pickups. Always have to have Noiseless pickups. No matter what.

TC Electronic Nova System. I have it set up in manual mode. So it works like a standard pedal board. I use it for all my gigs, for any style, and haven’t touched any of the settings since I first got it. It has a boost, comp, OD, chorus, phase, and delay set up. Which is more than I usually need.

Amp- DV Mark FGC121

That’s it. Blues, country, rock, pop, you name it, it all comes out of that.

StrangerNY likes this.
  10. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Old guitars+old amps=old tone.

11. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

It's intersting to see variation from full on old school to cutting edge and everything in between.

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Andy Summers tribute partscaster (middle position) --> Orange Squeezer --> OCD --> Hall of Fame 2 --> Vox Lil Night Train (clean) --> Celestion Green Back

13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Turning the knobs seems to work pretty well for me.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

These guys' tricks.
    I am stuck with my playing skill level though.

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I've had a different answer every time I've posted on a thread like this. These days it's dead simple: Les Paul or Tele > Blackstar HT Club 40, with or without my Soul Food pushing it. I use a TC Spark boost and an EHX Canyon delay in the effects loop.

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Black Classic 50s Tele - black cable - black Box Pathfinder 15R with line-out, mic'd or au natural. Back in black!

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Delay pedal and overdrive pedal, both always on. That's my tone.

I was a Les Paul into a Marshall guy which sounded great, but I'm more nuanced these days.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

From the Vocals.
    It has to let them get through.
    Jimmy Page wrote the book on that.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Most recently, a Mooer Radar with Celestion IR's with different modelers and pre-amps feeding into it. I use a variety of pedals, most of them analog cheap Chinese although I've bought a few mid-priced ones and a few digital modulation and reverb/delay pedals.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Mostly Guitar(s) through my amp(s).
    I love to experiment with them.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.