Tone control vs. Shape control

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jddub440, Oct 19, 2017.

1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Hey guys, I've been borrowing my buddy's Orange Micro Terror over the last week and I really like the sounds I'm getting outta it. I decided to look into the Micro Dark Terror and review the differences between the two, and even watched a few demos of each....the difference that really sparked my interest was that the M.T. has a tone control but the M.D.T. has a shape control instead. Is there any tonal differences or sweeps between a tone dial and a shape dial?? Or is it simply just a marketing scheme by Orange trying to make it appear as if the M.D.T. boasts even more options than extra gain on tap with an FX loop???

2. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Could be wrong but i was under the assumption the dark's controls were for getting that mid scooped sound some people like for metal whereas the tone is trying to match more standard eqing in one knob

jddub440 likes this.
  3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

From what i understand the Tone control is a traditional 1-knob tone setup on amps and pedals...clockwise=less lows more highs...counter-clockwise=more lows, less highs

The Shape control is midrange only...clockwise=less-scooped mids...counter-clockwise=more scooped mids

jddub440 likes this.
  4. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Thank you guys, that info was super helpful and makes a ton of sense now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.