Tone control for P90s

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by flester, Nov 27, 2018.

1. flester

flester TDPRI Member

I have a self build guitar with two P90 pickups, with Neck, Bridge or Both switching. I tried a (very!) cheap tele style loom but the tone pot has little or no effect. Whats a good place to start with pot/capacitor values? I mainly just want to be able to darken the tone on the Bridge-only setting even if it does nothing for the other settings.

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I used 500K CTS pots and .022 capacitor on my recent 2 x P90 Thinline. I'm VERY happy with that guitar. I love the sound.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I sometimes use 500K pots with p90s, but almost always a .047 cap. Do you know if your tone pot is an audio taper pot or a logarithmic pot?

4. flester

flester TDPRI Member

Thanks. I will try that setup externally before hard wiring in. Unfortunately my design means its a bit fiddly to open up the control cavity so I try to do it as little as possible.

5. flester

flester TDPRI Member

Not sure if my existing one is Lin or Log but its a cheap one anyway. Will try various options on proto board. In a way I wish I had left out the tone pot as most amps and pedals have them anyway.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

I'm a bit confused here. If that seem like a viable solution to you, why then don't you leave the tone maxed on your guitar and play with the amp and pedals EQ ?

Another avenue would be to change magnets on your P90. I had a too bright p90 and went from A5 to rought cast A2 and it got me where I wanted. $4.79 for a pair of magnets.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  7. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I use 250k audio taper and have been very pleased with the results. Much more even reduction of high end as you go from 10 to 1. YMMV

For me, cap value depends on how bright a guitar is. If it’s a bright guitar like a Tele, I’ll go with a .047. If it’s a darker guitar like a Les Paul, I’ll go with a .022. Most of the time I leave the tone control at 6 or 7 and adjust from there. Again, YMMV.

8. flester

flester TDPRI Member

Well, once I start exploring one angle ( e.g. how to fix my tone pot), I start to think of others( e.g. do I need a tone pot?)
    Sorry I do change my mind a lot (or do I?).

DrBGood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.