Tone City/Movall Pedal Owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by StormJH1, Aug 11, 2017.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Yes. I don't think I've ever watched a YouTube video for the KOT, let alone played one, but in researching the Tone City King of Blues, I came across countless people who got the King of Blues to tie them over while they were wait-listed for the Analogman pedal, and most of them concluded that they really weren't that similar.

It's worth noting that while Tone City does plenty of cloning, the double pedal series ("Design by J. Wong") do not seem to be obviously based off any other pedals. The Model M, Model S, etc. are basically amp-in-a-box pedals, and despite the similarity in name, the "King of Blues" could just as easily been named after B.B. King :)

2. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Any views on the angel wing chorus?

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Here is the board, mostly populated. I need to get a few more parts to complete the job. Also waiting for the enclosure to arrive. I am going to try board mounted pots this time around (first time). If I don't mess up the drilling, it will make for a beautifully neat build.

Attached Files:

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

I don't know that one. I use modulation so infrequently, that I went for a multi-modulation pedal to minimize the board real estate. Mine is the Donner Alchemy. Not sure if they still make it, but I believe Nux still has the identical pedal (in a different color and with a different name).

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  5. mannequin

mannequin TDPRI Member

it's probably solid but if you love chorus you'd want something a little more substantial. the mxr analog chorus (used) is also the same price with more features

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  6. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Wish I'd seen this earlier but thanks...

7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a lot of Klones, two different gold ones fron China with the horse graphic on them, the Soul Food, the Cream Brulee, the Xin sound Sky, and the best sounding one is the Bad Horse (also known as the Movall Minotaur).

StormJH1 likes this.
  8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

As a new owner of the Bad Horse, glad you think so!

Out of your list, I also have the Soul Food and Xinsound Sky. I previously had the Mojo Hand Sacred Cow - which was the only "boutique"-level Klone of the bunch, and I sold it because I didn't hear enough to differentiate it from the cheaper ones.

Klon-based pedals are bit of a mystery to me, actually. I understand the appeal, but other than as a treble booster in front of another drive or something muddy, I've found them a bit abrasive and bright for my liking. The appeal of them is both to add a little bit of tube-like grit (60 Cycle Hum described it as "making your tone sound more like a guitar"...haha), or for live players to really jump out of a mix. In my case, if I'm looking for a light or transparent overdrive, I'd actually prefer the smoother Bluesbreaker circuit, or whatever the heck the Crowther Hot Cake does on its more subtle settings.

That's the thing people misunderstand about the Chinese clones, though - you may have a $30 clone exhibiting a blatant "flaw" as compared to the original (too dark, too much gain, etc.), but may be desirable if it changes something a given player didn't like about the original circuit.

I'd have to take a closer look at the Xinsound vs. the Tone City Klones - slight edge maybe to the former right now, but they're very close.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  9. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

I picked up another one of these on a whim - the Black Tea. This was actually the original Tone City pedal that had me interested in the brand - it's supposed to be a Carl Martin AC Tone clone - but I had other "Vox in a box" options and put off getting it for a variety of reasons.

It has not disappointed. Compared to the Golden Plexi, it has a lower gain sweep, more presence in the lower mids (and less-abrasive highs) and slightly lower output...while still having plenty of output. The tone control works, and you can do Vox "chime" to some degree on the lower gain settings. But I don't necessarily think "VOX!" when I play it - it's just a solid rock/blues overdrive. I find it more useful than the Golden Plexi, which does rock but can be a little unruly and one-note. With a Strat, the Black Tea can be set up for tones ranging from clean boost to full-out driven.

I'm at a point where I have way too many pedals so I need to weed out the ones that are "same-ish". It will be interesting to see how many of the Tone City ones ultimately survive that purge - I suspect they will do pretty well because they (a) Don't have much resale value, obviously; and (b) Seem to have better build quality versus many of the other affordable imports.

neilybob100, Cliffyg62 and dswo like this.
  10. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

I've just setup my pedal board.

Gutted I ran out of space and power for the Golden Plexi.

Man this stack well together! The sweet cream stacks well with most pedals! IMG_20180817_173345.jpeg

stevemc and Cliffyg62 like this.
  11. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Updated board.

Got shot of the Comp Engine as it didn't make a difference through my Orange Jim Root Terror.

Obviously this is OD overkill (this could be my new band name! [emoji106][emoji16]). Now just trying to decide which OD pedals to keep or sell on.

Golden plexi hasn't gone, just haven't got enough room for it.

I'm setting up an even smaller board soon for jam nights if I'm brave enough to go! IMG_20181014_150745.jpeg

kevsonic likes this.
  12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

And I thought I had a lot of overdrives! Whew. How do you decide which one to step on :)

I had the Sweet Cream for a while, liked it OK, but liked other stuff better, so I didn't keep it that long.

neilybob100 likes this.
  13. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

The sweet cream stacks really well with the bad horse or Mandragora or Dry Martini.

Choosing is difficult.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  14. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I'm another Riff City fan. I like em even tho their closest store in St Joseph, MN is a good hour's drive south for me. Good staff, lots of instruments and equipment, smart online presence. More specifically I "liked" em on Facebook a while back which recently resulted in a Riff City/Tone City Giveaway popping on my FB feed. #tonecitytrifecta Just FYI - I own no stock, etc.

neilybob100 likes this.
  15. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

I’m using the Bad Horse in to the Tape Machine delay ATM. I use pedals very subtly but LOVE the Bad Horse and Tape Machine for a bright country sound.

Also have on order the Tiny Spring reverb, Angel Wing chorus and Tremble tremelo.

BB likes this.
  16. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

Settled on Bad Horse-> Tremble -> Tape Machine.

Very happy, great pedals.

BB likes this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have this, very nice chorus and I like the graphics.
    choral-mermaid.JPG

BB likes this.
  18. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

i had load - i kept the sweet cream drive and the angel wing chorus

great pedals no matter the cost

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got this one too now.
    mino1.JPG
    Movall is no longer being made, but there are several EU dealers that still have some in stock.

20. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I formed a favorable impression of the Minotaur/Bad Horse from several videos and bought a Bad Horse two years ago. After a year the switch started to go bad and Riff City, which distributed Tone City in the US, replaced it with zero hassle (and sent me another cookie). I liked the Bad Horse as a boost into other pedals or an overdriven amp. I'm no longer convinced, however, that the Bad Horse is a good approximation of the Klon Centaur; see below. That doesn't make it a bad pedal.

Festofish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.