Tone Chasing

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

Let's say you have a tone in mind your rig is not offering as-is.

Where in the chain would you start to make changes towards that tone? Before investing in new stuff like pups or amps or speakers or fx etc....

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Start with amp EQ, then adjust pickup height.

But be realistic and ready to spend some money or trade some stuff. You’re not going to suddenly sound like Dimebag Darrell with a Princeton Reverb and a TS9. It’s not ALL in the hands.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
As others have said it depends what kind of tone you’re after. But for arguments sake let’s say you want a nice metal tone, perfect for down-tuned high-gain madness. You could either invest in a high-gain amp, or run something like a boss metal-zone pedal into a clean(ish) amp. RV-friendly too :cool:

What sort of tone are you after? Anyone specific?

Buell

Tele-Meister
As others have said, it depends on the tone you're after. For me, it's a lot of tweaking with amp controls to get close to what I'm looking for and then I dial it in with either built-in amp effects or pedals.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Totally happy with my tone/sound.
I never went chasing for tone but I found it when I got my Reinhardt 18w Marshall clone

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
A parametric EQ is a powerful tool. Make the affected range as narrow as possible, set the boost to maximum, then sweep the frequency to zero in on exactly what you want to change. Now adjust the boost/cut and range to your desired level. Want your vintage wind Tele pickups to sound like humbuckers or your tweed Deluxe to sound more like a BF? No problem.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
¡Bueno!™

Let's say you have a tone in mind your rig is not offering as-is.

Where in the chain would you start to make changes towards that tone? Before investing in new stuff like pups or amps or speakers or fx etc....

Really need to know about the gear you have now and the tone you can’t get. What is your goal?

There’s a lot you can do by modifying your guitar wiring - pots, switching, etc.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You first have to be able to describe it. Can you?

Really need to know about the gear you have now and the tone you can’t get. What is your goal?

There’s a lot you can do by modifying your guitar wiring - pots, switching, etc.

I'm OK with my rig right now. It's a CS 70th Ann. Broadcaster into a Swart STR-Tremolo. A few fx but mostly a Swart Atomic Boost (Rangefinder type treble boost) and a newly acquired Diamond CPR-1 compressor.

Say I want to sound like Garcia's solo on Mr. Charlie.

Probably not the best example but one I'm playing with. I know it's an Alembicized Strat through a Fender Twin I think and lot's of pick harmonics so technique but there's a certain crystal clear high I find unobtainable. Sounds like Roy Buchanan except the ice pick doesn't hurt if you catch my drift.

Strings and a different pick may get me half way there or it may require a Strat to get that hint of quack or rewiring my Broadcaster or....

I'm not actively pursuing this or any other tones at the moment as my current rig is rather new so still exploring the possibilities as-is and do keep mental notes of tones I admire and will push towards them as the mood strikes.

Considering a speaker upgrade though. Celestion Blue from the Mojotone BV-30.

Thanks!