1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Capacitors - The Final Word

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Doctor Detroit, May 7, 2016.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Doctor Detroit....what type of guitar amp do you play? and...since guitars have been brought up...what guitars do you play?

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

"Topic all cleared up"... de- bunked, de- mystified and then it goes eight pages. :rolleyes:

It's like this: Human senses are amazing instruments, even more so when a remaining sense is augmented by a missing sense. For example hearing is augmented if you're visually impaired.

Flat Earth Society members who can't tell the difference ignore the fact that capacitive coupled stages stack up. You're not hearing one capacitor, you're hearing all of them.

This Week's Epiphany:

While Leo was a competent technician, he wasn't a musician. Even ol' Jim Marshall bashed his ears into submission with his drum kit. While Leo designed some cool circuits, he didn't "blueprint" them to max out their musical potential. How could he? He wasn't a musician!

We can build amps that make mediocre musicians sound better by masking their shortcomings. Good musicians seem to prefer "nowhere to hide" amps, gear that shines a light on every nuance of their musicianship. When we build something transparent and precise the inaudible becomes audible.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just checkin in....did the final word drop yet? I'm waiting with my solder iron....;)

4. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

The only reason I quoted this is so that I could "like" it a second time.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

AndreDanican likes this.
  5. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Like when Hawkeye was trying to fix the stove in the nurses tent and blew it up. He had to wear bandages over his eyes for a week (oh- and Frank Burns lost a lot of money by betting on the Indians over the Yankees). It was a pretty good episode.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Great - Specifically, WHAT products have you designed for the musical instrument and amplifier markets? I mean VERY specifically - brand name, model, year etc.

Right now your "authoritative speaking" has all the credibility of guy who knows match and can clip details from unknown sources to put himself in a very non-credible position - and is a new member with all of NINE posts here, all in this troll-like thread.

Simply - who are you and what is your curriculum vitae? Many of us have decades of the same type of experience AND are known entities here, and do not need to establish credibility to a newbie. You are, at this point, an argumentative newbie with no established credibility. So if you wish to continue this discussion, put your cards on the table.

At this point you are nothing but a Technical Troll, which we've seen dozens of over the years.

And I'd like this *practical* information as well before continuing this (at this point) farce.

Put up or - I think you probably know the rest of the statement.

7. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

coenchair.gif

Blue Bill and waparker4 like this.
  8. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

:D:D:D

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

FWIW, I had the final word on page 5!

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Nah, Andy from Denver did. Heck the last paragraph belongs in the Hall of Fame!

But I can't re-post it.

11. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

This thread is funny as $#*& with Bourbon.
    [​IMG]

Mr Green Genes and Blue Bill like this.
  12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit TDPRI Member

I have played many guitars and amps, especially the most popular ones (e.g. Strats, LP, etc.) But right now I have settled on what I like the best of all of them: a HB copy of a Byrdland, which I completed this winter. My amp is also HB.

upload_2016-5-19_21-21-28.png

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bullsquirt.

I did bench repairs for several years, then went on to earn a degree in Electrical Engineering, did that for years, but I'm much better now.

Engineers design things to function according to a specification set down by someone. The design then gets hacked to bits, cheapening all the way. By the time it goes into production, assuming you're building more than three units, it bears no resemblance to the original design.

If everything is built with the cheapest possible components, then why are there so many choices of components available? The great number of manufacturers and individual specs don't exist to feed the hobbyist market.

Here's the thing, Doctor. Every week or two somebody comes along with the mission of educating the yokels here. It doesn't work. Believe it or not there are a lot of talented and / or educated people here that have very good bs detectors. If you want to participate, then relax and have fun. Your opinions (and, yes, they are opinions) are just as valid as the next guy.

Wally and Fred Mertz like this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

While waiting for the actual final word, I'm wondering when someone is going to answer these questions:

How, exactly, does a capacitor work? (why this matters in a discussion of "tone", I'm not sure) I think it has something to do with positive voltage applied to a metal plate creating a positive charge; this plate is in close proximity to another plate, the two separated by a thin insulating layer; the positive charge drives negatively charged electrons toward the other plate, something like magnetic attraction. This results in a voltage difference between the two plates that will stick there, like the static charge on a balloon you rubbed on your hairy head, until the applied voltage changes, whereupon the electrons will either continue to gather, or they will flee, depending on whether the applied voltage increases or decreases. Oh yeah, and it phase shifts the current by 90 degrees, if the signal is sinusoidal, right? Any questions?

Could it be that electrolytics sound different than non-polarized ones, because they are non-symmetrical, therefore required to be placed in a circuit with the positive lead toward the higher voltage? Who uses electrolytics in a guitar tone control, does anyone? Maybe the one in the microphone, posted about earlier, affected the ac signal asymmetrically, since it capacitates(?) the signal differently on positive and negative swings of voltage. At this point I'm not sure whether I'm a yokel or I'm on a mission.

I like the stripey tropical fish caps. s-l225.jpg

15. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

How many of those can you put in a 10 gallon aquarium?:p

Blue Bill likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I believe the rule of thumb is a gallon per number of stripes, or was that per 100 volts rating? *hard science*

Zepfan and Blue Bill like this.
  17. Doctor Detroit

18. Doctor Detroit

19. Doctor Detroit

20. Doctor Detroit

Take another look at my original post
    Take another look at my original post, which I still claim is the final word (to those who understand the electronics involved). Then point out one, or more, statements that are "opinions". As far as I am concerned they are all well established engineering facts. And I don't state opinions without backing them up without some kind of facts, which make them way more valid than opinions stated with NO attempt at substantiation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.