1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone cap snafu... Any other "mistakes" that ended for the better?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mkdaws32, Oct 30, 2020.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I made some changes to my Lite Ash Tele a few months ago, pickups, pots, tone cap etc. I have found ever since that the tone control is very subtle. It takes off only the very top edge, but does so very smoothly across the entire range of the pot. It was not what it sounded like before and it was not what I intended, but I really dig it!

I opened it up this morning to change the pots again (both pots 500K audio taper). I had put "unknown" 500K pots in when I was doing the mods. They measured fine and had a nice even taper, but I find them to be ultra stiff to the point that I find it just too much effort to turn them and I haven't gotten used to this over the past few months.

So I grabbed some good Alpha pots I had (again, 500K audio taper) and pulled off the control plate. I took a look at the cap and realized I had put in a .0047uF instead of a .047uF! In reality, this probably worked out for the better since the standard .047uF would have had way too low of a cutoff with a 500K pot - especially for my taste. I would like it to cutoff a little lower, and tradition says to go with .022uF, but I have some .01uF caps and so I'm gonna give that a go - should be right in my wheelhouse.

Happy accident for me. Any other similar stories?

hemingway likes this.
  2. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I do that on purpose to most of my guitars. The typical tone cap values roll off way to much are not useful through most of their range. I use .0033 / .0047 commonly but I experiment with the values.

I have looked at using the tone control as a bass cut as well for the neck pickup of 4 knob guitars like LP's

3. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've been using the .01 tone cap for some time now. It's especially good with the 50s wiring mod as now the tone knob doesn't knock the volume down like it does with the larger caps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.