1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Waits - WTF happened to his voice?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sir humphrey, Feb 26, 2014.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I guess he 27, 8 or 9 was old when I first saw him in my early college days but he seemed much older than me plus 10. Now that venue is downtown is stand alone food court. Probably just as grotesque a place as a bar then but I'll still bar - not a food court.

I haven't followed him much other than an occasional radio interview. The old LPs are downstairs but I don't see a single track in 5000ish on this computer. Is that because of the put on????

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

He was great in Mystery Men. "I'm just here for the ladies" :)

3. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Here's another guy who sings in a very strange affected voice/style and has been doing it since the mid 60's. I've heard people claim that this is where Waits picked up the vocal style although I've don't know enough about Waits to even take a guess.

4. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

It's funny, this concept of authenticity. Lack of it always gets cited as a reason that someone doesn't like an artist. But when you delve, it turns out that no one can really define what it is. All artists borrow from those who came before them, and and most good rock stars bring a degree of theater to their acts. What it really comes down to is taste. So why not just say, "his music is not to my taste" and leave it at that?

Me, I love Tom. I can't think of another songwriter who so consistently puts out fantastic stuff. I like everything he's ever done, and a lot of it is on my best of all time list.

John Mayer? I can't see anything redeeming about anything of his I've ever heard. But I'm not going to say that he's less authentic just because he writes songs that I find insipid on every level.

Oh, and I thought you all might enjoy this:

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I always figured it was affectation, as that gravelly voice fits more with his 1920's bum persona. He can really sing. And yeah, I think he can turn that on and off. He's not hoarse when he speaks. Well, sometimes he is, but I heard a recent interview and his voice was clear as a bell.

Whatever the case, I love artists like him who have a crystal clear vision of all aspects of their art and its presentation. There are many talented people out there, but very few people have that focus, ability, and vision. That's why we consider them great artists.

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Watch me skate across an acre of linoleum
    I know I can do it.

Genius is an overused word in the music business but I think Tom Waits has a little of it. Just love this song...

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree about "genius" being overused, not just in music, but in general. Agree about Waits as well. Not just his music, but the clarity of his "vision" is pretty brilliant.

Edited to add that Waits' wife Kathleen Brennan deserves a lot of credit for that "genius" output and vision as well. I love their whole story. It's a dream come true that the love of your life is also your greatest creative partner.

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Watching that again I was struck by the juxtaposition of this old, weary voice coming out of this young, quite handsome, unlined face. But you are quite correct, he obviously has a clear vision of himself and his art - and he follows it relentlessly. Good for him (and us).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.