Tom Waits: The Early Years

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Big Tom Waits fan. I like both voices. Just love his song writing and style.

Speaking of style, if you were trying to explain his music to someone what would you call it? I have never been able to describe it to other musicians I am trying to get to play this type stuff with me.
Okay, I’ll take a stab at describing his music: avant-garde Americana?

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
Big Tom Waits fan. I like both voices. Just love his song writing and style.

Speaking of style, if you were trying to explain his music to someone what would you call it? I have never been able to describe it to other musicians I am trying to get to play this type stuff with me.
I think it was TW’s wife who described his style as “grand weepers and grim reapers” and I think that’s about the best description of anything I’ve ever heard.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
I am a big fan of mr. Waits, and I think Mule Variations is the perfect album to get to know his musicality.

His wife has a say in this as well.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
My favourite of his, and one of the most poignant, heartbreaking song ever.

I guess I prefer his earlier work. I first came across him around 1983, and hunted down all his albums at the time, so there's a lot of nostalgia in that stuff for me.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I like a lot of early Waits, but not particularly The Early Years comps or Closing Time. Some good songs there, but more generic singer-songwriter sounds before he found his many compelling voices and styles. Heart of Saturday Night is when he first became Tom Waits, and it's lovely to hear. Pre-Brennan Waits peaked with Small Change, his best early album. My favorite of all his work is Bone Machine.

The world could really use a new Tom Waits record and tour.