1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Waits - "God's Away On Business"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Dec 4, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I like this one, but for me it's from a period in his career when he was hanging by a thread over the void of self-parody. He's long gone now.

I loved Tom up to and including Rain Dogs, which I think was his masterpiece.

Then after that I found that listening to him became more of an effort with every album. I need to like music as well as appreciate it.

One of these days I'll revisit him and maybe decide I was wrong.

But to be still clanging pots and pans and singing about one-legged hobos in the 21st century betrays a certain lack of willingness to move on.

But it's often the way that the greatest innovators, that they get stuck in one of their own original ideas until it becomes a rut.

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Mule Variations is a fantastic album.

Bob Mc, clayville and darkwaters like this.
  4. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

+1 on Mule Variations. During these trying times I've been going on long midday walks almost every day and for me, Mule Variations became my rediscovered soundtrack for a world gone whack over the summer. Exuberance, sad longing, tragedy, existential dread... it's got it all, plus a pristine clarity of sound and vision. Give it a spin again.

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

That song always makes me think of the documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room which used it to good effect.

I'd probably extend the good Waits period up through Bone Machine, and throw in Mule Variations, but everything else from his late career has been diminishing returns. To be fair, I have a limited capacity for how much Waits I can take at any given time.

hemingway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.