Tom Scholz: Sound Machine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I was never a Boston fan really but their hits sure dominated the radio waves for a number of years when I was in my prime. They had a unique sound, that's for sure. This is a short vid about the 'mad scientist' behind that sound. Seems like a decent, normal guy driven by a sound and a vision.

2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

LOVED the Rockman Headphone amp when it came out in the early 80's

Buell likes this.
  3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I sure admire him too. Pretty smart fellow that followed his muse.

I like the tale of him and the record company. "I recorded this in my basement studio" RC-"we can't release that"

You know the rest of the story.

boneyguy, Lockback and Skully like this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

He is a legend.

boneyguy likes this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I've read couple of articles on him. He's a control freak's control freak. He's made it work for him, but I wouldn't work with him no matter how much you paid me ... not that he's asking. :D

For the record, I love the first album, like the second one, third and fourth, meh.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Not only is he an electronics genius and an amazing producer, he's underrated as a composer. He wrote some very memorable melodies. That Boston sound is unmistakable and instantly recognizable. I loved the first two albums.

boneyguy likes this.
  7. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

I still have mine. It's got some crackles and pops, but the damn thing still works

Jlwctn and Mike M like this.
  8. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow, that Hyperspace pedal.....cool ! Always wondered how he got those sounds, great debut LP, like the above poster says, second third fourth Albums not so great.....

boneyguy likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Whenever Boston comes on the radio I am once again amazed at the unique tone he got-- that super rich saturated, compressed sound. The Tom Scholz Rockman was an awesome toy, too! I loved mine.

I also agree that his songs were well written and arranged, too. Quite an amazing guy, really. It also goes to show that the best way to write a hit is to not to try and write a hit. You just have to write the music and songs that you believe in, and if you're lucky, like winning the lottery, enough other people will love your work that you will actually make good money for it. All the best music that anyone cares about has been written by people that just followed their muse, I believe.

boneyguy and Lockback like this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Boston not my thing really, but really appreciate his abilities in all areas. Very talented, driven and practical.

Torren61 and boneyguy like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

And after watching the doc on Scholz I watched a Rick Beato 'What Makes This Song Great' video about 'More Than A Feeling'. Lots going on in that song. Great songwriting, arranging, tracking and producing. He created an instantly recognizable sound and that's not easy too do in a commercial context.

12. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think he should sign up with Boss and release a Boss "Boston Sound" pedal for his famous solo tone. People would buy it. I would buy it.

Or contract with some Asian manufacturer to duplicate a few of the original SR&D devices, at low cost.

What an unusual sound he has. Hard to duplicate except through using his products - now unavailable except at great expense.

And of course his success was at least 50 percent due to the incredible vocalist Brad Delp.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    geoff_in_nc and That Cal Webway like this.
  13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

A BossTon pedal? :D

Thoughtfree likes this.
  14. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Delp was the most underrated singer I think I've ever heard. I was so sad to hear a few years ago that he'd taken his own life. He deserved a better fate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.