1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Tommyd55, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Vintage Petty 1985. American Icon.

elihu, TheDams, hnryclay and 5 others like this.
  2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Never once have I passively listened to him, he ropes me in every single time, unlike any other artist I've ever come across.

hnryclay, Festofish, RyCo1983 and 2 others like this.
  3. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

I saw them a year later on July 6, 1986, with Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead. Petty and The Heartbreakers opened the show, then Dylan came out and Tom and the Heartbreakers were his backing band, then The Grateful Dead came out and did their thing. I was fifteen, grew up in the sticks, and had never been to something like that. To say it changed my life would be an understatement. My next concert was SRV, and that pretty much sealed the deal. I love The Heartbreakers, and would say that over all, they are my favorite band. They play like a band, and always play for the song, though I have seen Mike Campbell really dig in and stretch it out live... like when The Georgia satellites opened for them. Both bands were on fire that night. Thanks for posting, I am always up for a reading from the book of Tom.

4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

There's a full concert video on YouTube of one of their last big shows, I think in California. My drummer and I talked about it and realized for about 90 minutes straight, it seemed, they played songs that were all radio hits. Very solid band and writing.

Tommyd55, gregulator450 and RyCo1983 like this.
  5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I could go on and on about Tom and the Heartbreakers, but I would sound like a broken record for all the responses I've left here regarding this, the greatest of American rock 'n' roll bands. Suffice it to say that they are the reason I make my poor attempts at being a musician, and I love them and their music.

SRHmusic and Tommyd55 like this.
  6. gregulator450

Same.

Sconnie likes this.
  7. gregulator450

My first time seeing a real rock concert was seeing Petty was on the Dogs with Wings tour in 1995. It was life-changing for me and the friend with whom I went to see the show.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I am a huge Tome Petty fan; I grew up in Florida in the 70s and Tom and the boys were a big part of my life's soundtrack.

I will never forgive him, however, for bringing in Mike Campbell and not me ;)

It's hard to accept that he's been gone three years.

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

High school bonfires, older brothers, cheap beer, Heartbreakers on the radio, the skinny younger sister in jeans, cigarettes, and making out in the woods for the first time.

Thanks, Tom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.