1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

TOM PETTY Signature Tele Needed!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Oakville Dave, Feb 7, 2019.

1. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Definitely down for that one!

2. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

Haven't been on for a while and just logged in today for the first time in awhile. FWIW, the Red Dog is Mike Campbell's and because I play in TP & Heartbreakers Tribute wanted to own the Red Dog myself....so I built one.

Started the build with a Fender MIM Tele Neck and a Fender MIM Nashville Fiesta Red Body. Pickups are: Humbuckers SD Alnico II's (Bought the pair used from a friend. Would've gone to SD59's if it weren't for the Alnico's), Fender Noiseless Tele. Using a 5-Way Switch with CTS Pots. Bigsby is sitting on a Vibramate plate that I bought used from a friend. This way I can restore to a regular Tele if I want to.

The build was finished in September 2018

13 - Strings Attached - S.jpg

lupowitz, Jim622, mimmo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if any of Tom's Tele's were MIM? :)

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I see no use for these signature models. They are way overpriced, for usually an axe not very far from stock. Ex. The Page mirror Tele, the Jimmie Vaughn strat, full in your own examples.

5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like a player. I’m sure your cost was much less than a signature model.

6. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

They should silk-screen his face on the body.

7. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I can afford pretty much any guitar I want. Why I refuse to buy a signature instrument: I’m a hack! I won’t dishonor those cats who made it by hacking away on their guitar.

8. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

IIRC, my cost was less than $700. What I never mentioned was the Tuners are Gotoh Vintage locking and I just replaced the nut with a Tusq nut. Guitar plays nice. Gettiing used to a Bigsby on a Tele which is very different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.