1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Petty " Mojo " Review...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by castpolymer, Jun 16, 2010.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Great album! Bought it yesterday. Very bluesy with some other stuff sprinkled in. Some of the songs had a bit of a Petty meets Steely Dan vibe to them. The reggae-ish song " Don't Pull Me Over " is great. Perfect album for Sunday morning cup of coffee and a book. Buy It Now!

I am also putting in a plug for Mike Campbell's double secret surf album " Blue Stingrays Surf -n- Burn." If you like surf music, this is a must. Amazon to buy this one. Comes with a cool guitar pic!

Attached Files:

2. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

I will pick up Mojo today. Surf-n-Burn is one of my favorite CDs, always in or near my player.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I just heard "I Should Have Known It" on the radio. Wow. That has some serious Zeppelin vibe. It's good to hear Campbell tapping his inner Jimmy.

4. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Great album. It;s nice to hear Campbell going all out and playing at the level that he can truely play at. He is a great guitar player, doesn't always shine through on Petty's tunes.

Wayne

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second. Mike always shines through no matter how small the part. Example-those three repeated notes before the vocal on Stop Dragging My Heart Around-sets the whole vibe. Three notes! How does he do that?

6. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I'll re-state my thought. Although he "shines" through, typically he is quite reserved in his playing on most of Petty's tunes. On the new album I would compare him to Page or someone of a "guitar hero" (not the game!!!) caliber rather than "the guy who plays guitar for Tom Petty." I think he really leaves his mark on this album as someone who is truely great.

Wayne

7. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

It's going to take a great set of tunes to overcome the cover "art" for "Mojo".

The Campbell album, however, is obviously a winner.

8. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Halfway through the Petty album so far - I love it! Campbell's tone is outrageously awesome, as always.

Anyone grab the Steve Miller album? I never knew he had a new one out until the record shop owner showed me.

9. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I got it (the Petty CD) and love every song on it, some more than others of course. Mike Campbell shines thru out the whole CD but then he always does IMO. A couple of cuts has him really opening up and playing stuff I had not heard fm him before meaning if I didn't hear Tom's voice, I wouldn't have guessed that was Mike. Great playing fm all the guys but what would you expect? The album is beautifully recorded and the sound textures are incredible.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Listened to it on the way to work this morning. Excellent record. Mike Campbell, well, what can you say? The entire band is killer on it. I think a lot of people, non-musicians, tend to take these guys for granted, but the Heartbreakers are a great band.

11. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

I think that this is what "Mojo" is all about...

I've listened to it a few time now, and I think this thing is an homage to famous tones and textures produced by Les Pauls in the past...

It's almost as if the toss-off songwriting is designed to highlight the tone and texture of a well-amped, well-recorded, and well-played 'burst...

And you can really hear the influences--song by song--of who Mike is channeling tonally...

Peter Green, obviously, but also the dead-ringer tone of Al Anderson with The Wailers (what was that guitar?), Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, and Mick Taylor...

I think "Mojo" will be a real touchstone-for-tone around here, even though it is a Les Paul... ;)

12. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I came across a couple of the vids of tracks from this album yesterday as well as a 12 minute mini-documentary about the making of the album. Love the songs I've heard so far. Must get the album as soon as possible.

I think it was Mike Campbell who said in the doco that he'd just bought the LP that he's playing in all the vids and couldn't put it down. So the album was based around that guitar. (If I remember rightly, the LP just happens to be a 59 which he paid some horrendous amount of money for - and even had to get his wife's approval to the purchase!)

Looking at the vids, the guitar bears a striking resemblance to Peter Green's old LP - apart from the neck pup not being reversed.

Strangely, I've always felt that Mike Campbell's playing had a lot of Peter Green's lyrical feel to it.

Makes me even more convinced that I need to get me a Les Paul............. bet I wouldn't get the same answer from my wife as Mike did from his!!!!!

13. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Tele-Meister

$250,000 was the figure I heard.

Yeah, I'd have to get my wife's permission too. :rolleyes:

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Hell, boy, there ain't a lick of twang on that there record, so you best be doin' some stone-touchin' somewheres else. This here's Tele country, and don't you be forgettin' that.

15. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mike Campbell's surf-n-burn album is not available on amazon.de !
    Had to take the Tom Petty album .
    Anybody got Del Shannon - Drop down and get me , Tom Petty and Mike Campbell from 2005 ?

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

From what I've heard of the album (haven't got it yet; gonna get it), I agree with your assessment of the songwriting, but I can't believe a major artist would or should make highlighting good guitar tone the primary goal of an album.

I think the band is having fun going back to their Mudcrutch-era, Allman-y roots. I just the good playing could be in service of songs that grab me more.

17. Skully

I have it on vinyl. It came out circa 1980. I prefer his posthumously-released 1991 album "Rock On," which also features contributions from Petty and Campbell, as well as Jeff Lynne.

18. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Just bought a copy....
    Thanks for the tip!

19. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Wish?

;)

20. Skully

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.