1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Me too. Underrated!

2. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

I always heard their music growing up, but funnily enough I never really dove in until after I'd been turned onto Mudcrutch. Needless to say I reckon they're fantastic. Great composition, and every song feels pretty distinct. Even though they definitely had a sound they never got too 'samey' to me. One of the few bands who I don't think ever put out a dud album. Tom's solo stuff was dynamite too. Shame Tom passed when he did - I'd have liked to have caught them if they ever came down this way again.

Mike Campbell aint bad either.

Lockback, Drew617 and gregulator450 like this.
  3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed!

Mike Campbell had recently acquired a ’59 Les Paul Standard, aka the “Burst.” This guitar inspired him so much he played it on every MOJO tune.

Here is a wonderful documentary about the making of MOJO. Tom says he really wanted Mike to be front and center on this album. Every song is truly incredible.

RodeoTex, Lockback and gregulator450 like this.
  4. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

This cover of Southern Accent right after he died was just haunting. Inspired me learn how to play it. I loved his music and the stories he told.

gregulator450 likes this.
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I guess it's "Drew posts about the Midwest" night...

I was a kid in Ohio in the 80s and never loved Petty. In hindsight I can see how he must have been a breath of fresh air, in context, in the late 70s. But at the time I saw him as one of a bunch of obnoxious hyper-American culture that was happening at the time. John Mellencamp and Chevy trucks and IGA commercials and all that heartland crap. There were acres of corn fields and Dairy Queens and jukeboxes full of Kenny Rogers just down the street, and everyone I knew agreed it just wasn't interesting. Americana is easy to get sick of if it's all you can access.

A couple years ago (after he died, of course) I caught American Girl in the car for probably the millionth time in the car and realized how great that song is. American Girl is one of those things I've heard since I was young over mall PAs and at the dentist's office. It was always just there to me and I'd never stopped to examine it, but it is damn near perfect. Conscise, urgent, does that Dylan thing that's both vague and really illustrative. Easily on my all-time mixtape if I had to make one.

Raised on promises. I know and can feel exactly what that means, to her and to me.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You know, I'd forgotten that he died. I was trying to figure out why someone just said 'was a great musician' about him on this thread, and then it hit me.
    Great music, a sad loss.

7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Holy moly, what an ass-kicking live mix that was! Wow! They stretched out without jacking up a great straightforward rock song. Petty’s Strat tone was killer, and the double-stop solo section on both guitars was huge. Could those Vox Super Beatles actually be his rig, or are those stage props? I want that tone to be coming from a pair of Vox Super Beatles.

The shift to the chorus chords (and vocal harmony) in that song has always given me goosebumps. It was even more lush here somehow.

And really great bassline/drums interplay.

Here are two of my favorite Petty moments, aside from that tune:

Macrogats likes this.
  8. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

What can you say? As a native Floridian who even did a year in Gainesville (they had already left, but everybody was still talking about Mudcrutch when I was there...) I'm proud of them to an unreasoning degree.
    Amazing songs, amazing singing, amazing playing.
    I could listen to the Heartbreakers all day long.

9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Petty was never an artist I worshiped in the same way I did with the Beatles, The Who and Led Zeppelin, but in retrospect, he was a great musical craftsman, whom I unfortunately took for granted because he was always there (until shockingly, he wasn't). My college-era band did covers of "Refugee" and "Won't Back Down." It was obvious that he took his craft seriously; perhaps because of his association with Jeff Lynne and the Traveling Wilburys, he was one of the few pop artists whose songs got more interesting as his career progressed. I remember liking his later '80s stuff much more than a lot of his '70s material. His Netflix documentary is really enjoyable.

Macrogats likes this.
  10. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Never a fan...always thought his music sounded kinda amateurish or garage bandish, with mediocre vocals & no spectacular playing.
    But; that's what makes the world go round.

11. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Can't say exactly about this far back, but I doubt it. For most of the 2010s it was mostly micd smaller combos on stage (at least for Mike's rig). Deluxes, Princetons, and the like.

Edit: In that clip at a few points you can see what appears to be a brown tolex Fender combo raised up over on stage left. you can get a reasonably clear view at 1:00. Mike and Tom's rigs are likely behind those Vox cabinets.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    mexicanyella likes this.
  12. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I love Tom Petty. Since the day I heard "Refugee" on the radio in 1979.

The day he died, my mother (who's since passed too) called me to ask me if I was alright. She understood what he meant to me. I wasn't alright and really haven't been since. It's weird how important someone can be to you whom you've never meant.

I have Sirius radio in my car and it never leaves channel 31. He must have recorded virtually every tour he ever did, the volume of live material played on Tom Petty radio is staggering and you hear live stuff from all of the eras. It's astoundingly awesome.

I wish I could have smoked a blunt with him, drank a few cold ones and broke out some acoustic guitars. I know I would have enjoyed it and I have a very real suspicion he would have enjoyed it too.

My electric band does 4 or 5 of his tunes, my acoustic duo....3 or 4 and then I have my favorites I save for select open mics and such.

Veitchy and Macrogats like this.
  13. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Thanks. I'll check it out.
    Campbell was the perfect teammate for Petty; unassuming, willing to let Tom lead the band, but a terrific writer in his own right and, like Petty, an underrated talent. I love some of his lead work. Never flashy or hurried. Just essential notes and some great riffs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.