1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 1, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Tom Petty was simply awesome!

RyCo1983 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

All that and more is good stuff but Don't Come Around Here No More is my favorite.

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

The Southern Springsteen. Incredible guitar band. Great songs, hooks, guitar tones. One of my faves ever. His death tramautized me so much I wrote and released this in his honor:

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

RIP, and thank you, Tom.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

A favorite! Glad I got to see one of his last shows!

7. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

I liked him from "Damn The Torpedoes" on. But as his career continued, I came to appreciate him more and more because he was almost unparalleled at coming up with catchy and yet relatively simple songs. There's a real art to that and Petty was just freaking brilliant at it. When I picked up guitars again a few short years ago, I came to realize how much I liked learning and playing his songs. They're usually quite simple but have some little hooks and subtle nuances in them that keep you on your toes.
    My favorite song to play, "Into The Great Wide Open". I used to like the song. Now I love it. Great fun to play along with and sing. Just a terrific song.
    Another one, "Mary Jane's Last Dance."

IMadeYouReadThis, DonM and Macrogats like this.
  8. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I think it was Ron Bennington that said that he wrote hymns to America and could write a melancholy song without whining as some others did. I don't care to hear any of his 'hits' anymore but I think he's still under rated. I'm constantly finding new songs that blow me away.

9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

It’s quite uncanny how you mention all this. I pretty much liked the guys fro the first moment I saw/heard him. And despite being a bit of a Metal head back in my day, I also appreciated his music as his career went along - he never disappointed me!

Back in late 2016 an old band buddy conned me out of retirement to do an acoustic duo with him. Three songs in our original repertoire were Mary Jane, Wide Open and Free Fallin. I just loved playing Toms stuff! We used to do Running Down A Dream way back, so that was soon added.

When Tom passed away we went on a Tom blitz and learned another 20 or so of his songs, which we did do over a few gigs. Something like two totally Tom sets.

10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

As a singer, song-writer and composer, not many can say they belong in the same breath with Tom Petty. Finding out he performed with a fractured hip because he thought his fans were so important that he didn't want to disappoint a one of them....well,. that was Tom Petty and it made me irritated that he didn't get the help he needed. We have lost way too many great musicians that way.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Listen To her Heart and I Need to Know are both in my Top-10 All Time Best Rock and Roll Songs Ever Written.

gregulator450 likes this.
  12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

How about some "new" Petty?

rich815 likes this.
  13. gregulator450

The only thing better than 2 Tom sets would be 3!

Macrogats likes this.
  14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

They were a great backing band for Bob

15. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

I've got a lot more I want to learn. There's something really pure about this songs.
    Nice post. Fun stuff! May Tom R.I.P. He left us far too soon.

Macrogats likes this.
  16. gregulator450

I could go on for days about Petty. He is my reason for being and staying a musician.

He is not the first rock n roll I liked, but I still remember hearing my first Petty song as an 80's hair metal-loving 11-year-old. "Learning to Fly" came on the radio as a new single, and it was so different from the Def Leppard, Motley Crue, and Poison songs I loved. I remember loving the song and thinking that the name "the Heartbreakers" was the worst band name ever.

After that I didn't hear any Petty until four years later when Mary Jane hit the airwaves. Then i put it together that both songs came from the same guy and I have been going down a 25-year-plus rabbit hole ever since.

They don't make 'em better than Petty. I openly cried in public when he passed. It was harder than my Grandma's passing (she was 92 and her death released her from a great deal of pain).

One of my only regrets as a parent is that I never got to take my kids to see him live.

Lots of love in our house for Mr. Petty and his bandmates. :):)

17. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

and stevie nicks....The Traveling Wilburys, etc. Just brilliant.

Lockback and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  18. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Made his living doing what he loved.It does not get any better than that. R.I.P.

19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw them at the Universal Amphitheater in L.A. in the early 80’s. I think the Marshall Tucker Band opened for them. Great show. And then he came out for an encore and played a perfect Any Way You Want It by the DC5 including the echo on “hey hey hey”. I think I Won’t Back Down is my favorite of his.

20. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Love his Mojo album! It has turned out to be my favorite by far.. I've listened to it straight through hundreds of times. I especially like this song which I also enjoy playing and singing.

gregulator450 and Lockback like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.