Tom Petty(and the Heartbreakers) vs. Dire Straits?

Tom Petty(and the Heartbreakers) vs. Dire Straits?

• Total voters

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
It's like Sophie's choice. I love them both. I would give the nod to Dire Straits for their wonderful guitar playing and a unique niche.

But Tom Petty is one of the greatest American song/hit writers of all time, and his band totally rocked and had amazing longevity.
One of the greatest rock bands ever, IMO.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
Dire Straits, guitarists need to wear sweat bands
1541375293441.jpg

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I like dire straits, but this is no competition to me. Tom Petty has a whole catalog of rightfully celebrated music.
He knew how to make songs that were relevant and catchy, for 20+ years. Dire Straits has 2 or 3 that meet that criteria

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
I’d have to say Petty and the Heartbreakers. There was a day when I’d have likely chosen Dire Straits, though, out of some sort of guitar-centered snootiness. Knofler’s inimitable guitar style just makes them seem important, and they are great, but as I age I find myself (re)discovering the greatness of stuff I took for granted and didn’t think was so great in the late Eighties and early Nineties as I came of age. I have always been enthralled with music a couple decades before I came along, and found stuff that came out during my formative years campy, cloyingly trendy, and pat. I dismissed a lot of Petty’s stuff then—as I did, say, Hall & Oates, The Talking Heads, and stuff—but now I can see he was a strong songwriter and unique performer. There are many Tom Petty songs that feel as familiar and comforting as an old t-shirt when I hear them nowadays, though I don’t seek him out. He’s a music I accept passively and like, even love. I listen to Dire Straits the same way—if it “comes on” I will listen and like, but I do not, I think, have the same affection for Dire Straits stuff as I do Petty’s. That said, I’ll never really crank Petty’s stuff, except for maybe “American Girl,” but I WILL almost always crank “Sultans of Swing.” Anyway, my vote’s for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. A larger catalog of old t-shirt songs.

Last edited: