Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick playing a 1961 Fireglo Rickenbacker 4000 bass

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Like his band mates Rick Nielsen and Robin Zander, Tom Petersson happens to collect some very intriguing guitars and basses. Even Bun E. Carlos has an enormous drum and percussion collection.

Petersson.jpg

He mostly plays a lot of Hamer 8 string and 12 string basses, as well as an Alembic 8 string bass. But he also owns and has played several Hofner and Fender basses, a Gretsch 12 string bass, and a Gretsch Electromatic bass. Tom Petersson is largely inactive from touring with Cheap Trick, not least due to having heart surgery that increasingly affected his bass playing. Robin Zander's son, plays bass for them now. and Bun E. Carlos was sacked due to health problems, though Rick Nielsen claims Bun technically remains a full time member of the group.
Rick's son Daxx also plays drums for Cheap Trick.
Rick Nielsen played bass for Cheap Trick shortly after Tom Petersson left in the Eighties, and then came in Jon Brant who played on She's Tight and on Mighty Wings from the Top Gun soundtrack.

I have heard Cheap Trick's new album, In Another World, and I must say it is a great album. Probably their most memorable since Lap Of Luxury.

I did own the Greatest Hits CD, but chucked it at some time.
I do, however, own Dream Police on record. I acquired it from my parents when they were downsizing. I also own the CDs of Heaven Tonight and In Another World. Dream Police is one of my favorite Cheap Trick albums, and my favorite Cheap Trick songs are Surrender and Dream Police. I also own the 45 and cassette single of Surrender To Me from the Tequila Sunrise soundtrack, which was sung by Robin Zander and Ann Wilson.

Steve Lukather of Toto played the uncredited guitar solo on Voices, a session he was paid $1500 allegedly to play.

And aside from the fact that Cheap Trick sang the theme song to That 70s Show, they also appeared in the movie Daddy Day Care and the song Surrender was also featured on the soundtrack.
Lindsay Lohan did a cover version of I Want You To Want Me, but it’s not very good. And there is a movie that has I Want You To Want Me on its soundtrack.

I think Cheap Trick is a very influential band. Bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Oasis, Bush, Nirvana and Panic At The Disco would never have been started if not for their influential music.

Although on the first Cheap Trick album, Tom Petersson mostly played a Gibson Thunderbird bass. Not bad for a guy who lists Paul McCartney and John Entwistle as an influence on his bass playing (but then again, which bassist do you know of that HASN'T listed Macca or The Ox as an influence?)

I hope this thread interests anyone who likes Rickenbacker basses.

"Surrender, Surrender
But don't give yourself away!"

Mark617

Tele-Holic
Heaven Tonight is an Amazing album
Don’t forget ….WKRP in Cincinnati used Cheap Trick as their opening song . Talk about ahead of the curve

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
Aaah. Well,l my local dealer/tech traded me a large supreme pizza for a new Rickenbacker promo poster back in 1991 and that was the first I'd ever seen of an 8-string Rickenbacker bass. Doesn't change my position, they were aimed at Cheap Trick bassists.

A narrow market, I'm sure.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
No. RIC introduced the 8 string at NAMM in the mid-1960s. It was a custom order back then but became a production item in the mid-1970s.
The Who track "Success Story", off their 1975 album The Who by Numbers, was played and composed by John Entwistle on a Ric 8 string.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
No. RIC introduced the 8 string at NAMM in the mid-1960s. It was a custom order back then but became a production item in the mid-1970s.
There was a run the mid '80s, very short. Three came to the UK and I got one. Impossible to intonate as both courses ran over the same saddle. So, In tune down the bottom, way out up top, and vice-versa. Didn't have a year and put it away under the bed. Sold it not long after that.

But wait! What's this Tom's playing??

Gretsch

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I used to wonder if the 8-string basses Rick was making in the early 90s were aimed straight at Petersson.

Petersen convinced Hamer to build him a couple of 8 strings in the late 70s (when his Hagstrom 8 string started to give out), but Hamer drew the line at what Tom really wanted - a 12 string bass. They didn't think the neck would hold up under the string tension.

Once the band started getting big, Hamer relented and built him a 10 string bass to prove that a 12 string wouldn't work - but to Hamer's surprise, the neck didn't snap off! So they went ahead and built his first 12 string - the Quad Bass - in 1978, the one with the quadrophonic mixer built in and custom made pickups.

ef742758801cb2870a8490365139f510.jpg

As far as octave basses went, Petersen was way ahead of the curve. He's widely regarded as the inventor of the 12 string bass.

- D

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There was a run the mid '80s, very short. Three came to the UK and I got one. Impossible to intonate as both courses ran over the same saddle. So, In tune down the bottom, way out up top, and vice-versa. Didn't have a year and put it away under the bed. Sold it not long after that.

But wait! What's this Tom's playing??

Gretsch

He played a bunch of different Waterstone basses for a couple of years, too. This one is covered in Ludwig drum shell plastic to match Bun's drums.

WaterstoneCustom10.gif

- D