1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tom Dowd

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jaimed, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Lots of stuff... I always saw his name on albums (remember them)....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Wiki

At age 18, Dowd was drafted into the military with the rank of sergeant. He continued his work in physics at Columbia University. He worked on the Manhattan Project contributing to the atomic bomb. The purpose of the work was unclear until 1945.[2] Dowd planned to obtain a degree in nuclear physics when he completed his work on the Manhattan Project.

[edit] MusicDowd took a job at a classical music recording studio until he obtained employment at Atlantic Records. His first hit was Eileen Barton's "If I Knew You Were Comin', I'd Baked a Cake." He soon became a top recording engineer there and recorded popular artists such as Ray Charles, The Drifters, The Coasters, Ruth Brown and Bobby Darin, including Darin's famous rendition of Kurt Weill/Bertolt Brecht's "Mack the Knife". He captured jazz masterpieces by John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker. It was Dowd's idea to cut Ray Charles' recording of "What'd I Say" into two parts and release them as the A-side and B-side of the same single record.

Dowd worked as an engineer and producer from the 1940s until the beginning of the 21st century. He recorded albums by many artists including Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek and the Dominos, Rod Stewart, Wishbone Ash, Cream, Lulu, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, Joe Bonamassa, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, The Eagles, Kenny Loggins, James Gang, Dusty Springfield, Eddie Harris, Charles Mingus, Herbie Mann, Booker T. and the MGs, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin and Joe Castro.[3] Dowd received a Grammy Trustees Award for his lifetime achievements in February 2002.

3. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

For those who haven't seen it, the documentary "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" is fantastic!
    RIP Tom.

4. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah great Engineer and Producer and great Documentary as well

5. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Tom, side by side with Phil Ramone, forged new paths in recording technology. Great documentary. You should read Phil's book "Making Records" when you get a chance.

6. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

+1; this documentary is a 'must see' for any music fan.

It used to be available for streaming on Netflix, but I just checked and it is currently DVD only.

A truly gifted and amazing person.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought the DVD of "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" after seeing about 4 minutes of a clip. Have watched it endlessly. I am blown away when he mixes in the various parts of Layla. What history.

I have always had great respect for Phil Ramone, too. I am embarassed to admit at one time I believed him to be part of the Ramones, who just don't float my boat, so I never paid any attention to him. Once disabused of my error, I found Phil to be a fascinating guy.
    Thanks for the tip on the book, I did not know it was out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.