Tom Dowd

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
I was watching Rodney Dangerfield’s “Back to School” last night after everyone left. The film is so so but I’d forgotten it closed out with Aretha’s “Respect”. That song amazed me (still) after 54 years; It’s one of those songs that just makes me say “wow” each time.

So I looked it up on Wiki, found out Aretha arranged her version and played the piano part, was reminded Otis Redding had recorded it two years before and Tom Dowd produced and engineered both versions. I said to myself “Self, didn’t Tom Dowd also produce…?”
I’ll just provide the link to Tom Dowd’s page, The man was a true Nuclear Physicist, in many ways
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dowd

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Tom Dowd documentary movie, The Language of Music, is most excellent.
THANK YOU! Gotta have it.
But…”The creators of the 90-minute documentary film TOM DOWD & THE LANGUAGE OF MUSIC have prepared the film for a hi-defintion re-remaster and re-release, and have offers to re-distribute the film worldwide. Unfortunately, we have been unable to renew the story rights agreement, originally made with Tom Dowd, without compromising the integrity of the project. Until this happens we cannot get the film back into circulation.”
http://tomdowd.com/test/
There’s a copy of the DVD available on EBay asking $203.

Last edited:

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
But…”The creators of the 90-minute documentary film TOM DOWD & THE LANGUAGE OF MUSIC have prepared the film for a hi-defintion re-remaster and re-release, and have offers to re-distribute the film worldwide. Unfortunately, we have been unable to renew the story rights agreement, originally made with Tom Dowd, without compromising the integrity of the project. Until this happens we cannot get the film back into circulation.”
Ouch. I knew it was a trick to watch. A friend of mine has the DVD, which I watched years ago. I have since looked for it to stream, with no luck.

Resojazznblues

Tele-Holic
this is worth checking out if you haven't heard it.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think in that Tom Dowd doc ( it's been a while) Tom claims ( while working with Cream/Disraeli Gears)
he suggested the inverted drumbeat ( 'Indian Tom-Tom beat) for Ginger B. to try on " Sunshine of Your Love" as they were having trouble with a groove.

( I don't know if it's really true or not, but don't think I'm making this up)

skydog6653

Tele-Meister
Aretha’s “Respect”. That song amazed me (still) after 54 years; It’s one of those songs that just makes me say “wow” each time.
I rank that ditty right up there with Sweet Home Chicago, Mustang Sally, and others. Heard them too many times, and if I never hear them again it will be too soon! And isn’t “take care of TCB” redundant?!

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
I rank that ditty right up there with Sweet Home Chicago, Mustang Sally, and others. Heard them too many times, and if I never hear them again it will be too soon! And isn’t “take care of TCB” redundant?!
I’ve always heard it as, “Take care, TCB”.

You remind me a bit of Reb Beach - who, when he was asked what he thought of Jimi Hendrix as a guitarist, replied, “I think he should have tuned his guitar.”

Never heard of Reb Beach? My point, exactly.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
There are songs I can never hear too many times. “Respect” is one of them.
Yes, it’s redundant. Next question.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The DVD is most expensive, if you can find a copy... :(

I bought mine about 15 years ago, but I can’t recall what I paid. Amazon has them for 45 smackers. I know I didn’t pay close to that.

1044350F-9885-4F1A-AD89-60A3EC151561.jpeg
2ACB667D-D7CF-44E8-BCC8-62B66C81D95B.jpeg