Tokai Silver Star : Loving the Neck (V shaped)...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Chum, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Chum

Chum TDPRI Member

Hi to all!
    I got this Tokai Silver Star last year after I saw it in a local ad... This turned out to be one of my best purchases in a long time... I also have a Tokai Springy Sound, and the sunburst finish on the Silver Star almost matches my Springy...
    Upgrades were mainly the pickups... My Springy originally came with a set of U series pickups, and I changed those to a set of E series... So the U series are now installed in the Silver Star... Other than that, I just needed to give the Silver Star a fret dressing and general cleaning (lots of gunk and what not)...
    She's a beauty... But what surprised me the most is the Neck! It is a Soft or mediym V shape and I am loving this more and more as I continue playing it...

Here are some pics:

20190917_171148-01.jpeg 20190917_171238-01.jpeg 20190917_170941-02.jpeg 20190912_135419-01.jpeg

And here it is with my Springy Sound:

20190926_081617-01.jpeg 20190926_081041-01.jpeg 20190926_081403-02.jpeg

2. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

That is such a nice guitar. I really like the way it looks, patina and all. I bet that is a super fun play. And yeah the V necks are really comfortable

3. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Very nice!

4. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

sweet guitar. I love old mij instruments, they always seem to have a ton of personality. I love the sunburst on that silver star.
    I'd love to see a photo of the springy sound. that has to be one of the all time greatest guitar names.

5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The strat that I've had since late 80s is a Tokai, L series replica, not sure what series, it arrived quite butchered so I've used it a mod platform, only the body and tuners remain, but I still refer to it as my Tokai, and I hope to acquire another one such as yours down the track (and a MIJ 335 also)

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome looks awesome
    I’ve been keeping an eye out for tokais lately

I love the way those target type bursts look a lot of people hate em guess that’s good for us guys who like them

naneek likes this.
  7. Chum

Chum TDPRI Member

Here are a few photos of the Springy Sound:
    20190926_080249-01.jpeg 20190926_080207-02.jpeg 20190926_080120-01.jpeg 20190926_080152-01.jpeg 20190926_080400-02.jpeg

This is my No. 1/go to strat. Pickups were upgraded to the Tokai E Series; stock were the U Series that are now on the Silver Star.

naneek likes this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

These are great guitars. I love how they’re such dead on replicas of 70s Strats down to the smallest detail. Too bad it’s fairly common to find them defaced like yours is by people who were apparently embarrassed they aren’t Fenders.

9. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I have a early MIJ Fender Tele that no one else will have until I die. The previous owner rubbed MIJ off the headstock and it p!ss€s me off everytime I look at it.

naneek likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Tokai's... along with Squier JV and SQ guitars from "fugi-gen"!
    NEVER underestimate the quality of "most" of those models. They are often every bit as good or better than their beloved MIA (AVRI) counterpart!

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  11. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I had an 82 Squier JV Strat that was absolutely fantastic. The build quality was spot on and it had been upgraded to Fralin pickups so it sounded incredible too. The only reason I recently sold it was the neck was SO thin and I have big hands so I couldn't get on with it. If it had been a newer guitar I would have just changed the neck but i don't like messing with vintage guitars as it's a shame to part them out after so long.

Back on topic, I've never played a vintage Tokai but I love the look of them. Unfortunately if they ever come up for sale here they're priced really high as they have a bit of a following these days.

codamedia likes this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW... a few of the early JV Strat models that arrived in the UK, Canada and Australia were loaded with American Alnico pickups. No doubt the Fralin's were an upgrade just as they would be on most Amercian Standard guitars... I'm just pointing out that the originals would have been better than average as well. IIRC, it was the '57 Re-Issue (265010) and '62 Re-Issue (265020) that were loaded with those... no other JV models had them.

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  13. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Mine was a domestic model JV (SST-50) so it had most of the same components as the UK ones but they didn't see fit to give it the fully fledged USA pickups, I believe it would have had SQ5s or something which apparently weren't great. To be honest I would have preferred it original, but the previous owner had changed the pickups and trashed the originals so I didn't have much choice unfortunately.

codamedia likes this.
  14. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

I had a Tokai Strat with binding and an awesome flame maple top. Some moron jigsawed the headstock to look more like a pointy Jackson and painted it (the headstock) black with house paint. Poor choice and even poorer execution. If I still had it, I'd find and original neck for it. I traded it off years ago. I'm sad every time I think about it.

15. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I love those 70's bursts, the hard contrast is so cool looking.

16. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

'Breezysound' ain't bad either. ;)

17. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Funny thing is that Fender's first 'vintage series' (AVRI) press release/advertisment in 1982 actually had a Tokai Springy pictured!

18. Chum

Chum TDPRI Member

It was a bit disappointing when I first saw the decal defaced as you mentioned. Lucky though that the serial number was still intact so I could approximately date it. Was thinking of having a decal made, but locating a Tokai decal is even more difficult than looking for a Fender one LOL

19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up TDPRI Member

Might try here. They appear to have a decent selection, if they're still available.

http://www.croxguitars.com/TokaiGreco.htm

20. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Love the silverstars- they are the japanese market version of the springy-and the necks are to die for. One of my fave guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.