Tokai LS50 vs Greco EG700

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nicknklv, Jul 22, 2021 at 5:15 AM.

1. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I've been on vacation for almost a month (yay Swedish labor laws!) now, and as it usually happens, when I'm away from my guitars, I get itchy to buy another one.

I've been interested in finding a nice Japanese LP copy, and recently found 2 that match the criteria - a Tokai LS50 and a Greco EG700. Both from 1980, all original with the exception of CTS pots in the Greco. Gotoh Mk. II pups in the Tokai, Maxon U2000 in the Greco. They're both around the $900 mark and in really good condition.

Can you guys give me some insights or personal experience with these, and how they'd compare to each other? Also, what about the pickups? I've been looking for some information but it'd be silly to not reach for the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Anything else I should look at/inspect for for these MIJs?

I will try the Tokai over the weekend as it is in my area, but I want to figure out if it's worth a longer drive to see the Greco.

Thanks for the help!

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I've never played a takai I didn't think was a great guitar. I've played grecos that were great and some that felt mediocre. If you really dig the tokai, youd save a drive.

I haven't really played as many LP copies as I have strat or tele ones, but tokai tend to impress.

BB and nicknklv like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Echoing @ReverendRevolver , I’ve been very impressed with every Tokai I’ve ever played…and many, but not all of the Grecos…

BB, nojazzhere and nicknklv like this.
  4. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I had a Tokai from the same year. It was an excellent guitar, but it needed a lot of work: Replane the board, total refret, new nut. The burst colors and weight bothered me enough to part with it.

If the price is right, definitely worth checking out...though some people are trying to get wild $$$ out of these lately, even lower tier models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.