Tokai LP Refret Issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GeorgeG, May 12, 2021.

1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

The ivory binding has a few slightly melted areas under the fret ends after soldering iron heating and removal. What can I use to fill in these areas before fret board sanding and radiusing?

Thanks,

George

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

If its pvc plastic binding you can dissolve some in acetone and fill the damage. Will the new frets cover it?

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

The new frets will extend over the binding but a couple of the areas will leave a gap viewable from the playing position. I'm going to get some ivory binding and try the acetone thing.

Thanks,

George

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I use a soldering pencil when I pull frets but I try to be very careful around binding. Do you happen to have the infamous "nibs"? - I don't do refrets on guitars with nibs, someone else can have that problem.

The traditional "glue" for plastic binding is some of the binding dissolved in acetone to make a gloppy stuff which can be used to fill small gaps. I prefer CA for plastic binding but the acetone should work fine,

5. GeorgeG

GeorgeG TDPRI Member

I got the hang of it after the first few frets and stopped melting the binding. The acetone/binding scrap trick looks like my solution. Thanks,

George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.