Tokai Goldstar Tele - legit or fraud?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DlxNashvilleLuvr, Jul 8, 2005.

1. DlxNashvilleLuvr

DlxNashvilleLuvr Tele-Holic

My previous question was, "How are the Goldstar Teles?" Maybe a better question is, if I see a current Tokai Telecaster with "Goldstar" on the headstock, is that a legit guitar or a Tokai impersonator? I see lots of `52 reissue-style Teles on eBay but they say Goldstar on the headstock and my understanding is Tokai calls their Telecasters Breezy Sound. Has this changed? Huh?

2. tonfarbe

tonfarbe Tele-Holic

I think this is a better place to ask: http://www.tokaiforum.com/

From what I've heard, the recent Goldstar Tokais don't compare to the old ones from the 80's in terms of quality.

3. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

new korean tokai teles say goldstar, new japanese tokai teles say breezysound. to make things even more complicated tokai teles from the 80's may say Breezysound, goldstar, ATE-52, ATE-67, Custom edition, and i'm sure a few other names as well, but all of the older ones are from japan. all of the japanese ones new or old i've played are great guitars.

johnny atomic

4. DlxNashvilleLuvr

Oh, yes, I posted there as well but that board isn't nearly as busy or responsive as this one. Over there I have 13 views and no replies.

Thanks for the info, fellas. Maybe I'll roll the dice on one of these.

5. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

While I can't vouch for the Tokai Tele's, I can say that the Tokai Strats are exceptional. I had the oppertunity to purchase one several years ago and it continues to impress me. For the measly sum of $290 it rivals guitars 4X the cost. I would not hesitate to purchase a Tokai Tele.

6. Tiddles

Tiddles Tele-Meister

OK, MIJ Tokai have always used the name Breezysound for their Telecaster copies (great guitars, especially the early ones 1978-83ish). The Korean operation seems to have some sort of legal agreement with Japanese Tokai, but otherwise appears unconnected. And now seems like some Korean makers are building guitars just according to requests from individual small dealers/shops, which seems to me unlikely to be sanctioned by MIJ Tokai … heaven knows who’s building the recent so-called MIK “Tokais” now on sale in Canada. I think that’s where the confusion arises & where the Goldstar name has appeared quite wrongly on Telecaster copies … it’s like someone in Nigeria copying Fenders and putting name Stratocaster on Tele shaped guitars. Does that answer the question?

The current genuine MIJ Tokai are very good guitars … the old MIJ Tokais are as good as it gets … serious rival to any Fender or any Gibson at fraction of the price (but old ones now becoming collectable & prices increased accordingly).

Strange thing about Tokai Teles though – they almost never use the correct vintage style 3-saddle bridge.

Summary – buy a Tokai Tele by all means, but make it MIJ Breezysound, & preferably pre 1983 (pre 1982 “7okai” label if possible).

Ian.

7. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

i think you are vastly overstating this situation concerning korean ones. they contract other builders just like fender and everyone else does to build guitars for them. this is simple economics they want to have a guitar that sells in a store for around $300 just like everybody else. but i agree that putting goldstar sound on BOTH strats and tele surely creates some degree of confusion. also, just because they sell them doen't mean i like them ;)

all my have original "final prospec" 3 saddle bridges. although i've seen and owned a few w/ flat six saddle bridges.

agreed, but i wouldn't limit it that far. i'd say any breezysound new or old. my 2002 breezy is as good as any of my early 80's ones. if you live in the US and limit yourself to only pre 82 or 7okai only, you're gonna do without one. because you simply probably won't find one at any price, unless you import it yourself from some other country. you just see very very few 7okai or pre-82 lawsuit pegheads in the US.

i sold a killer early 80's double bound breezy about 3 weeks ago for around $600.

if you can find one, fernandes did a limited edition japanese tele about a year or two ago that i bet would be a killer for low dough.

8. rusticman

rusticman Tele-Meister

tokais

im the lucky owner of a 83-84 tokay paisley and i gotta say its a insanly great guitar. i had a chance to try the new japaneese made tokai rosewood tele. (its more true to specs then the MIM fender) and its a mighty fine guitar.

the headstock is a bit different on the new ones then the 80's true copy guitars. ....but thay made it so that you can sand it down to fender specs if it bothers you;)

9. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

I knew there were Korean and MIJ Tokais but didn't know the Breezysound/Goldstar distinction.

Interesting, because I used to see tons of Korean consumer electronics (TVs, air conditioners, VCRs) with the GoldStar brand on em. Probably no connection, but who knows.

10. DlxNashvilleLuvr

Thanks for the replies and clearing all this up for me! I see all these Goldstar Teles on eBay, but then I've heard from Tiddles and from the Tokai forumites that a Tokai Tele should be a Breezy Sound. But then I wondered where these Goldstars were coming from and started wondering if someone may have gotten some decals and stuck them on fake guitars. Now it's all clear (or as clear as it's gonna get ;) ).

Technically I don't need another guitar, of course, but, um...

11. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I passed up a beautiful 80's Tokai Japan Strat a while back, Sea foam green body, laquered neck w/ maple fretboard. £250quid in excellent condition. :cry:

12. Tiddles

Tiddles Tele-Meister

Well I threw some caution to the wind on above post, left out the “if’s” & “but’s” lol :lol: . I guess it’s possible that Tokai Japan now uses the Goldstar name on some Tele copies, but that would seem crazy … like US Fender deciding to use name "Stratocaster" on both Strats & Teles … how confusing would that be?

Johnny-A … appreciate your carefully considered reply, agree 99% :) . Funny thing about those Tokai bridges though, right from earliest Tele models (c.1979) they made the guitar as almost exact replica, but used a flat Elite-style bridge, often with 6 saddles … some models did use a vintage style 3-saddle ashtray bridge, but they were very inconsistent with that.

Yes it’s true that early Tokai Teles with “7okai” logo” are now rare as Hens Teeth … I haven’t seen one on eBay for over a year. Conversely, the “7okai” Strat copies turn up regularly almost every week.

Just to complete the picture on Tokai model names – from 1978-82 Strat's named “Springysound” (7okai decal), then named Goldstarsound from 83 until now. Tele copies from c.1979 called Breezysound, & same name continues until today. Les Paul models from 1978-79 are “Les Paul Reborn” (ie headstock logo), then changed in 1980 to say “Reborn Old”; late in 1980 changed again to decal saying Love Rock, & that Love Rock name continues today.

Bottom line though … Tokai are amongst the best MIJ copies, more than comparable with J-Fender or MIM imho, & personally I think the early ones are stiff competition for any US Fender, but YMMV of course :? .

Ian.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.