Today's traffic rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by idjster, Dec 14, 2019.

1. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

When did using a signal light in your car for turns and lane changes become optional? I have had so many near misses lately that I've just about given up driving. And don't get me started about the people who sit through a whole light without signalling and then either turn still without signalling or pull forward a bit and start to signal. Mrs. Idjster is more of a pedestrian and it is one of her major beefs too. So, when did it become optional?

2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

You should be in Houston!

3. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

People who don't use turn signals are one step above line-cutters. Both are despicable hoomans.

I think we should be allowed to carry paint guns, so we can tag offenders for all to see. No permanent damage, just some healthy shaming for a day or two.

Fretting out, Hiker, mefgames and 7 others like this.
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

@idjster
    You must remember that many drivers run low on turn signal fluid, unbeknownst to them.:D

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Count your blessings. In my neck of the woods, using a turn signal is a sign of weakness.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're 100% correct. Add it to the list. Yet another example of the current lack of respect for civics, social responsibility and plain old courtesy.

I admire MattyK's patience. I've lost most of mine. While I'm not quite ready to replace the paint guns for live ammo I can see simply ramming the offending vehicles with my "beater" old Honda.:mad:

7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have always contended that people that don't use turn signals are the laziest people on earth...one finger to turn it on and it turns itself off. Too lazy for that?

8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

They are usually the same folks that are incapable of coming to a complete stop. Brakes don't work?

idjster, nojazzhere, howardlo and 2 others like this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice thread topic, thanks. I'm in SoCal, another land of traffic. It is apparent that there is a revolution of drivers that no longer even know what that signal is for. And there are others that no longer care what that signal is for. It affects my everyday driving. So here are some of the things I think about often which in itself is sad. Some are humorous and some are realistically cynical.

1. I wanted to make up T-shirts that read "Uses Turn Signals" on the front.

2. Dash Cam, just in case I need the advantage of evidence based information. Also posting vids on YT of abusers just for fun.

3. I like the paintball idea. lol :twisted:

4. Their inconsideration creates danger on the highways and lessens fluid traffic flow. It also pisses people off which creates more havoc with retaliation moves and sudden hand gestures.

5. I don't mind if I am moving 75mph in a pack and someone puts their signal on to dive in front of me. I figure they know what they are doing at that speed and I don't even let up on the gas. That happens often. If it is necessary to cut them slack to make their move I will give it because they used their signal.

LOL :p Next up is People who use their speaker phone in public! :mad:

idjster, nvilletele, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Meister

Around here you'd best not give much heed to any turn signal. It was more than likely left on anyway. Theres a less than 50/50 chance they are turning as indicated. Probably 30/70 they will actually go the other way.
    What, you expect turn signal use? Cant you see I am texting, putting on makup, eating a breakfast burrito and reading the morning paper while driving?

I actually consider offensive driving to sometimes be the best defense. Keep 'em guessing.

Now to add to the list.
    People who drive around with aux/fog lights on ALL THE TIME.

Instead of paintball, can I use a dog shrit cannon?

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

It's been going on for decades. My Grandpa's favorite line.."Nice car, too bad the turn signals don't work". And he was driving a 1960 Plymouth Fury like this.

Plymoth Fury 1960.jpg

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I got pulled over in Dallas once for not signalling. The cop was definitely ex-military and spoke like a drill sergeant. He asked if my blinkers worked. I replied yes. He informed me that I was expected to use them when turning. I asked what part of my deliberately steering into a turn-only lane confused him. He gave me a ticket.

jrblue and nojazzhere like this.
  13. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Here in Texas a popular factory option is the 'Houston Special' package. Vehicles come without turn signals and seat belts.
    I lived in H-town for years with a bicycle as my transportation.
    Many exciting times. Take a ride down Telephone Road some day for a good time. If the ladies of the evening don't get you, the flying beer bottles will!

Mark Dog

39martind18 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My brother and I (both fanatical turn-signal users) had this discussion once. I agree that most "non-signalers" are lazy, inconsiderate, self absorbed, or simply not "driving".....but I offered one possible explanation. More and more, when I signal an imminent lane change, some a**hole will speed up to cut me off. It's simply a territorial move, and is a perfect example of unprovoked "road rage". I think a handful of other drivers have experienced this, and just don't want to give the aggressive drivers a chance to prevent their lane change. :(

idjster, Hiker, stratoman1 and 6 others like this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wasn’t it Gallagher that said everyone should be iSsued a dart gun with a flag. Shoot at drivers doing the wrong thing. If a cop saw more than 3 flags on a car they could pull them over for being an as$:mad:@&

16. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Where I live (out in the country in Western New York State) my pet peeve is headlights. People here think daytime running lights are the same as headlamps, so in fog and rain they run with DRL only - ignoring those of us behind them who can't see them.

People also think nothing of driving with high beams on all the damn time, day and night, oncoming traffic be damned.

Yeesh.

nvilletele, MarkieMark and dented like this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I have the opposite effect and my wife is always laughing. I came from an area where is was so optional, you never knew what the on coming vehicle was going to do. Up here for 22 years now and I still can't trust people's turn signals, but everybody uses them correctly (yeah, I don't have any idea how that happened either), so I wait until I am certain what the on coming car is going to do and my wife always asks, "what are you waiting for?" :oops:

18. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Around here, the most dangerous trend is driving at dusk or in the rain without headlights. Even if you can see the road, other people still need to see you!

BTW, that Fury looks fantastic

flathd and howardlo like this.
  19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Where I live (So. Calif.) signaling is dying out, and more and more people pull into intersections and then stop only if someone else is coming and has right-of-way. "Stop" signs are taken as "Slow" signs. I don't know if the number of accidents is up or not, but the letter and spirit of the law is widely ignored. On top of this, highway projects are so far behind, and executed at such incredibly slow speeds that we are falling further and further behind the actual levels of use. One day, final gridlock will occur. There is no plan, and certainly no hope, for dealing with the population to be served in the near future -- or the present, for that matter!

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm an Uber driver in the Washington DC area ( I live in, and prefer to mainly ' work' Northern VA) and am from here, and cannot stress enough, how scary-terrible some drivers are around here- literally fatal behavior going on.
    Just a few all too common examples:

- folks crossing to the left ( passing) the double yellow line on a 2- lane road
    - folks going 80-90 MPH non stop on the Beltway and just constantly swerving thru all 4 lanes
    - driving in the right lane (me) at 60 MPH ( speed limit 55) and being passed on the right SHOULDER, by someone going say 70-80 mph
    - folks ( behind me ) constantly honking at me for coming to FULL STOP at STOP signs, or at ' right turn on RED' lights ( Im waiting to get rear-ended just because I actually stop)
    ** these things happen daily!

idjster, howardlo, Hiker and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.