Today's my last day at work. (long story)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Mar 10, 2017.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

If you've read my threads and such, over the last few years, you may remember that I have been in a situation where I have been doing long distance commuting from Raleigh, NC to NY,NY.

For almost 5 years, I've been driving up and down the east coast weekly or biweekly to do my job and then get back home to my wife and kids in NC. Lots of overnight runs, in bad weather, sleeping in the car in funky places, encounters with weirdos, breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and LOTS and LOTS of greasy, gross road food all combined to turn me from a healthy guy with boundless energy to an overweight, chronically exhausted, nervous wreck. But I just kept putting my head down and pushing forward, because I'd convinced myself that I had to do this for my family.

Sometime last summer I posted a thread bemoaning how this lifestyle was beating me up, and that my doctors were convinced it would eventually lead to a rapid health decline or worse. That thread was a wakeup call for me, because loads of YOU rallied to tell me that they were right and I was crazy. Around the same time, a group of friends at work took me aside and said, "Hey man, we know you better than anyone, and we're scared for you. We don't want you to die." They made me look at the photo on my company ID from a few years back, that showed a fresh faced, bright eyed and much thinner man. "THIS", they said "is you!" "Not the bloated, pale guy with circles under his eyes that you're turning into!" It really got me thinking and working to turn things around. Focus on the positive. I did, and man what a change. I started thinking of all the positive things that have come out of this wacky existence.

I've certainly learned that I'm WAY tougher than I thought I ever was. I have dealt with things I never thought I could. I can and have simplified and scaled down and found it makes living MUCH easier and more enjoyable.

I've learned, who my real true friends are. And what real friendship means. And often that can be even be more valuable than family.

I've learned to tell people that I love and care about that I love and care about them. They need to know.

I've learned that I can't put a price on my wife and kids. Its way too important to me to see the kids grow up then to make a lot of $$. I'd rather bus tables and live in a trailer, and get to see them every day.

Stuff is just stuff. And when its all over the only thing that's left is memories and experience. Nobody ever says, "Hey....remember that thing?" They say, "Hey...remember that time?"

So basically what I'm getting to, is that I finally came to the conclusion that this situation no longer made sense. Monetarily, health-wise, family-wise...everything was slipping further and further away. So, two weeks ago I took a deep breath and called my boss and gave two week's notice. Got sort of a tepid response, but that was really no surprise.

Over the last 10 business days, I figured I'd just slink around in the shadows and say goodbye to a few people that I've come to love over the last 15 years and just slip out quietly. But a funny thing happened. Word got out, and I began to receive dozens of emails, texts and calls from people. Not the higher-ups. From the people. The folks I trained (I'm in training and development) and managed over the years. Thanking me and telling me that I made a difference in their lives and careers. Never saw that coming. Made me feel really, really good. Because that, folks was really what I set out to do.

So what's next? I dunno really. A little much needed and well deserved R&R. Some time with the family. I've assembled a new band and we're ready to get going. Got some writing projects to finish. And then on to the next adventure.

Bittersweet leaving NY tomorrow for the last time. I love NY, I love so many people here. But...I'm looking forward to coming back to visit after I've given myself time to really miss it.

I want to say thanks to the folks here who posted on my threads and helped me get up the guts to turn the page. (Not an easy thing to do) And to those of you (you know who you are) who have sent me PM's periodically to check on me. Thanks!

Onward and forward!!!!!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We are rooting for you!

RevMike likes this.
  3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Good decision! Enjoy the ride, it'll all work out. Have fun...

RevMike likes this.
  4. blowtorch

What style of band are you working on getting up and running?

Jakedog and RevMike like this.
  5. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Good for you!!!

RevMike likes this.
  6. RevMike

Have assembled and eclectic group consisting of a classic rock and roll drummer, punk/rockabilly bassist, metal guitarist, Irish fiddler and little ol' me. Planning to do an Irish/Celtic rock and roll band.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Steve 78, Rich724, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You did the right thing RevMike !!!
    That was a crazy commute / lifestyle . I have learned that jobs and coworkers are temporary and nothing more than smoke in the wind . When they are gone all that is left is you , family and ones health . Enjoy life ... that's all there is :)

Felino, pondcaster, jackinjax and 2 others like this.
  8. blowtorch

I envy you! That's something I've always wanted to do. Very cool!

Felino and RevMike like this.
  9. blowtorch

Boy if that isn't a fact. "Things" aren't much, either

Rich724, RevMike and tery like this.
  10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Mike, I'm glad you're making a change. That situation sounded crazy. I did a similar thing for 3 months between Baltimore and Greensboro, NC when my kids were 2 and newborn, and it was awful. I can't imagine 5 years of that. Lots of opportunities in the triangle. I'm sure you'll find something that suits you when you're ready to suit up again. Even better if you can go in jeans.

RevMike likes this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Best of luck to you. It will work out.
    In 1995 I had a high pressure job and was miserable. One evening I yelled at my 9 year old daughter. She started crying and I felt awful. In an instant I knew I had to resign. I had no idea of what I would do. I just knew I needed to get out.
    I didn't do anything for about 2 months other than be a dad to my daughter. I eventually found something far less stressful, relocated and was finished my last 20 years with the same company.
    Again, good luck.

tery and RevMike like this.
  12. RevMike

Its going to be fun. The two ladies in the band (drummer and fiddle) got together last night to jam back home....so jealous I couldn't be there...but I'm stoked that they're all excited too.

13. blowtorch

You need a bagpiper because everything is better with bagpipes :)

Matt G and Boomhauer like this.
  14. RevMike

I need to lose 20 pounds before any of my suits will even fit me again. I don't think that will be too much of a problem. I feel like a month without eating Waffle House at 2:00am and I'll probably drop 20 without even trying. I also plan to hit the gym that I belong to and never go to.

lostpick and jondanger like this.
  15. RevMike

Lead guitar dude plays pipes as well. I'll be spankin' the plank and some mandolin as well.

blowtorch likes this.
  16. blowtorch

I bought one of those standalone Weider things, on sale for like 50 bucks, and it's saved me so very much in health club membership fees: because it's a constant reminder that if I don't use something that's right in my living room, I'm not going to use a health club :p

Texas_tele2015 and RevMike like this.
  17. RevMike

I live in a community where a full on health club is available 24/7 right in the clubhouse. I'll be there daily huffin' and puffin'.

blowtorch likes this.
  18. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Congrats on the lifestyle change and wish you many new and happy times with friends and family. I know you will miss the coworkers and friends but they will be happy having you around for many more years opposed to what you were looking at.

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Good move, RevMike!
    I made a similar one 11 years ago, very much like your story. I needed that job at that time, but I can say I have never once regretted my decision to leave. Life is too short as it is.

Onward and upward, my friend!

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Bravo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.