1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Todays Country

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by robmc_68, Feb 25, 2013.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm always criticizing Nashville Pop, picking on folks for overplaying the rural twang of the spoken word into lyrics.

a) Can you imagine if the Beatles sang the way Ringo spoke? Yikes.

b) Maybe producers feel you gotta twang up the words in (some of these) lyrics because, frankly, the content of the lyrics is so juvenile, so boring it makes me wanna crash my car into a tree.

But enough of all that. I wanna offer an apology. I realize my slashing and bashing has got to be hurting some people I think are absolutely great. Like Jim Lauderdale, for instance. He's found a personal way to "countrify" the compositions he does, with Buddy Miller and others and I just wanna give my big seal of approval to all his work. If all of Nashville's offerings were of the calibre of Lauderdale and of Marty Stuart, I sure would be a happy guy.

2. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

Man, you know what they say, there are only two kinds of music, good and bad. I'd rather not get too caught up in what something is or isn't. I like what I like. Every now and then I'll here a newer country song that is kind of catchy. But for the most part, I think there is a lot lacking in the song writing. Not that there aren't some good musicians and songwriters out there. There absolutely are. But man, sometimes I'll even hear something where the music isn't bad, but the lyrics are just so disappointing. I just feel like, come on, who ever wrote this could have tried just a little bit harder. Maybe not. I guess I'm just not he target audience for some of this stuff.

I kind of agree with what Boris is saying as well. I really have hard time with songs whose message seems to be "hey ya'll, look at what a big redneck I am." I guess rednecks are what is cool these days.

Some of the shtick kind of reminds me of that old SNL skit with Garth Brooks, where he is sitting around the campfire with some cowboys and they are talking about what they like most about being cowboys.

edit: I would just like to clarify that I don't dislike all of today's country, but there is more than a little of it that I have a hard time listening to.

3. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

That seems to be the big thing right now, celebrating one's ignorant, low class cultural status. These discussions of current Gnashville pop country rock always make me think of the words, shallow, vapid, formulaic and ultimately a waste of time. Hank Williams must be spinning in his grave.

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Every once in a while I get in touch with my white trash self.....

Then I get back to work and prioritize my telecaster...
    I mean...I mean my family and day job!

5. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Still lots of great country music out there...you just won't hear it on the radio.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

simple answer is if you dont like new country dont listen to it.

country has never meant 1 formula. why does everyone wanna put it in a box and have it never change? If they did that we wouldnt have johnny cash, waylon, buck owens, merle haggard etc; none of those guys were considered country at some point.

country= new country, classic country, outlaw, country pop, bakersfeild, country rock, gospil, psychobilly, etc;

find something you like and stop complaining about the stuff you dont. your blood pressure will probably go down.

7. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Tele-Meister

Thank God for Willie's Roadhouse on XM radio, that's all I listen to, can't stand this modern crap country...

8. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting cowboytwang. A great perspective.

We have always had to listen to what the radio stations have wanted us to listen to. I think there are some very good artists out there with some good musicians behind them. My biggest complaint is that so much of it seems way over produced. Kind of the opposite of the 20's and 30's that needed some production.

Much of todays "country" is more like 70's rock than country. Would like to see a return of the 3 or 4 piece band playing with the singer.

9. drjordan

drjordan Tele-Meister

Well said.

10. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and Outlaw Country, too. Lots of good current Country music that you won't hear on FM.

11. glyn bob

glyn bob Tele-Meister

This argument has been going on for years with over produced country pop in the fore.Sadly the stuff sells though.
    I find it odd myself when there is a wealth of great country music still being made .Great to feel part of the population who loathes it and loves proper down and dirty country like Wayne the train ,Hank iii,The Dixons,lucky Tubb,Whitey Morgan,JP Harris,Dale Watson even Dwight is still making good stuff.

Anyway Hail to the Twang.

12. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I heard a country tune the other night at a gig, and it sounded like Zeppelin riffs with the singer going on and on about a "country girl." What is the world coming to?

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Gibson has been handing out guitars to country players like candy.

The Gibsonification of country music is something I'm not real happy about. There's just no incentive to twang, and where country is concerned, if it don't twang, it ain't my thang.

14. glyn bob

glyn bob Tele-Meister

I m with you on this one.

TWANG that tele !

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

To me, it is Vinnie not remembering very well... and doing what was done to him... which sucks....

When he was in Pure Prairie League he and his band was shunned by 'purists' for being too LA and too pop.

His records in the late 80's and into the 90's were mostly pop records... he was Tony Brown's pop solution... his records were mostly ballads (as were the hits) oh sure there were the liza jane's and oklahoma borderline, but those songs didn't pay the bills....

When musiciians rip on musicians... nobody looks good....

16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I listen to a lot of the modern Nashville Pop because that's what my wife likes. I'm sorry, its terrible.

I really need to get XM because I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Willie's Roadhouse and Outlaw. I was working in Florida for a 3 week stretch one time and my rental had XM. It never left Outlaw

17. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

True. Like so many other styles of music these days.

18. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Willie Nelson and the boys were Nashville outcasts because they didn't conform to the glitter suit scene. Nashville is Nashville. Country is Country.

19. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

If you can bear to listen to much of the modern commercial country, it seems squarely targetted at a 25-39 female audience. When they mix country with rap they get cr..p....bah donk a donk. Have to admit I do enjoy the TV show Nashville. T-Bone Burnett does a good job on the musical direction and it's got that whole early Dallas multiple plot thing going. A bit of escapism. I can tolerate Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley and few others, but talents like Wayne Hancock and Dale Watson are flying somewhat under the radar. They do tour a lot and seem to keep their overheads down, so probably do all right. I'll tune in to the Opry when I can, just to check out the pickers, like Tommy White on steel, but it's tiring watching Rascal Flats with their opened arms and glitter shirts and the Band Perry with their mop top beatle haircuts. Talk about milking a formula. Saw a nice little clip of Chris Thile pickin' his Gibson Loar mandolin on the weekend. There's a young succesful guy who can pick. Sometimes it's just the baseball cap on backwards, stubble beard, tight jeans and tattoos that will prevent me from even opening my ears. Maybe it's a generation gap of about 40 years? I finally figured it out!
    Swang on,

20. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

I spent a few months in a 'modern' country band recently, the Jason Aldean stuff. After diving in, it is basically '90s post-grundge Nu Metal (i.e. Creed, Alter Bridge) meets southern rock. Many bands tune down a half-step, *then* drop-D, so the low E string is sounding in concert C#, a very metal tuning.

Not bad stuff when taken in context, but the musical roots to Nashville are hard to find. Fun stuff to play, but I get where country purists are coming from.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.