Today was special

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I gifted my 1976 Gibson S-1 to a very close friend and ex-employee. I bought the S-1 in the 90's and it was pretty much a mess. The only thing really original were the Bill Lawrence Pups. I sent it to Lay's guitar in Ohio and had it brought back to life being told not to refinish it but to leave it in played condition. They put in original tuners, the right pick guard and screws and rewired it back to original. I did have them redo the satin finish on the body and it really came out great. It was my wife's favorite sounding guitar. It was fun to play but weighed a ton; probably close to 8 1/2lbs. There was an old magazine ad of Ron Wood pitching the S-1 and I obtained a copy and had it framed; which I also gave away. The picture below is the guitar in its original hard shell case.

I had promised to will the guitar to him, but decided to do it while I was still around to see his reaction. We met for lunch, I jokingly told him he was buying but I would make it up to him. We had a great conversation and lunch. When we left I said come over to the truck I have something for you. First I gave him the Ron Wood picture. While he was looking at it I grabbed the S-1 and said this goes with it.

He thanked me profusely and gave me a big hug and I couldn't have been more happy that I decided to do this.

I came home, found the title to my motorcycle; which I've been searching for all this week. Now I can get it registered. I got some insurance for it and next task, will be to get it inspected. All in all a really good day.

1648770156587.jpeg

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Nice gesture! They were from the time of the L6S I think. If I had the knowledge, all my guitars would have a varitone.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Great story man. It's good to have such special friends, they're a rare commodity.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
That is a very unique guitar and a great story.,it’s nice that you decided to invest in the next generation like that. Respect!!

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
That's the way its done! Good on you.

I have a nice vintage Gibson that was vintage when I bought it in the 1980s. At one point my brother damaged it and I was so sick about it that he bought it off of me for quite a bit more than I paid. As the years went by, I really missed that guitar, but it had appreciated to the point where I could never afford to buy it back. One day he just came over with it and gave it back to me, saying that "life is too short to worry about things like this."

Even though we have always been close, that one gesture was so incredibly powerful and I remain thankful to this day. I'm sure your friend will feel the same way. Thank you for sharing the story.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A good reason to make gifts like this while still alive - those hugs are precious.
Framed pic - bonus.
Peace - Deeve