Today, I've been using the word "Unbelievable" non stop. Because my high school sweetheart is back.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 22, 2021.

1. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

'96? Wasn't that like last WEEK???? '72 Grad here. Congrats! Wish y'all well.

P Thought likes this.
  2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

In the US, generally referred to as cap and gown - the headgear "cap" being also referred to as mortar board (as in bricklayer) and the gown, well we on this side of the pond blame it on the brits. I defer to the poncy toffee nose English for a more precise word choice and historical background.

- but toga is not a bad choice. Toga might imply a belt and a single shoulder wrap? I defer to our Greek colleagues for more precision.

still congrats, and let us know how the reunion goes, because we're nosy like that.

sjwieczorkow and P Thought like this.
  3. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Confession: there's a girl from school I sometimes think about, and I would think about her more if I allowed myself to. I'm 'way too married for that.

I think we're mostly in consensus here: be cautious and proceed. This sounds pretty promising.

4. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Gowns and mortar boards are only worn to University graduations. There's no Secondary (High) School graduation as such here- but Prom has become a really big thing in recent years.

5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

That’s what they are called in Dutch.

BerkshireDuncan likes this.
  6. BerkshireDuncan

[In the US, generally referred to as cap and gown - the headgear "cap" being also referred to as mortar board (as in bricklayer) and the gown, well we on this side of the pond blame it on the brits. I defer to the poncy toffee nose English for a more precise word choice and historical background.

- but toga is not a bad choice. Toga might imply a belt and a single shoulder wrap? I defer to our Greek colleagues for more precision.

still congrats, and let us know how the reunion goes, because we're nosy like that.[/QUOTE]

Nice one.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You missed out then! When we graduate from school here, the schooling makes not one whit of difference in your education. When they pass out those black togas, it's just a cover for the real thing used to transmit your education directly into your mind, it's the SAH (Square Academic Hat) that has the chip embedded in it right up there next to your ear that contains your entire education! When we have people who do not do well after graduating it's because the DCC (Dunce Cap Chip), and the SAH graduation chip are manufactured under the same license and are installed at the same place, just different hats. I hope for your sake that you at least wore the SAH! :D

8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I think that sometimes the people you were close with in your late teens / early 20s can be the people you relate best with as you get older. I have an old friend who, after years of separation, got back with the girlfriend he had at 19. They're married and have 3 kids. I know them both well, and I don't think either of them ever connected as well with anyone after they broke up.

Great story to hear... I hope it works out as well for you!

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There are daydreams, then there DAYDREAMS! The years one spends in high school is as near to heaven as you are likely to get here on this earth!

howardlo likes this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Nice one.[/QUOTE]

Apologies; slightly trollish and thread drifting.

The US affectation in graduation apparel is self-inflicted, a vain attempt at emulating the English academic tradition.

11. BerkshireDuncan

Apologies; slightly trollish and thread drifting.

The US affectation in graduation apparel is self-inflicted, a vain attempt at emulating the English academic tradition.[/QUOTE]

All good, teletimetx. I left school at 16 to do an apprenticeship, so the only toga I've ever worn..

[​IMG]

12. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

best of luck to you,.

13. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Wow... amazing man. If that ever happened to me with my ex-high school GF, I'd freak out! Not in a good way either... ;)
    Well, at least you both have some life exp in your toolbox now so hope it works out for ya'll!

14. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

That is a dream come true and I am incredibly HAPPY for you:) I have been dreaming and thinking EVERY DAY about someone from my past 35 years ago hoping one day she may come back to my door but it still has not happened:( No sight no sound no contact in 35 years. Now it has happened to you> best wishes to the pair of you how brilliant:)

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck to you. I met my wife in the late 80s early 90s, went out for a few weeks, then split. Went into out to a club 2 years later and she was there, we hit it off instantly and here we are all these years later.
    If everything seems cool between you guys, then grab the bull by the horns, and go with it.

16. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

God Bless 90's chicks!

17. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Redundant. Delete.

18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Well if there is one thing that I have learned from this thread, it's that your mother is not from the Netherlands.... because apparently every woman who is from the Netherlands is pure as the driven snow and would never manipulate any man ever.

:cool:

johnny7 likes this.
  19. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Ran across an old girlfriend a while back, my thought was “phew, I dodged the bullet on that one”.

radiocaster and electrichead like this.
  20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My first fiancée, the one that cheated on me with a college football player while I was at Ordnance Officer's school at Redstone Arsenal, died last year. The best revenge. Outlive them and have a tall cold one.

GreatDaneRock and Big_Bend like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.