1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Today I ran out of amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Grateful Ape, Apr 18, 2021.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably people are not familiar, but Roland puts really good speakers in their giggable amps. And quite efficient. Doubtful that's the issue.

More likely hard floor, proximity to wall, maybe being right up against amp as well?

2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

(As I mentioned above) I've taken to putting soft cases behind my amp (BCA) in these situations. I have a soft pedalboard case, then my duffel/gear bag stacked behind, and the amp is on an angled stand. I had similar thin tone in a couple rooms with concrete and brick or glass walls, and stacking up soft stuff behind it works reasonably well.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Some rooms will make any amp sound like garbage, and having those individual sliders gives you way more flexibility over your sound.

Or maybe you have one amp that sounds great with one guitar but garbage with another. That’s something else you could take a swing at fixing with eq.

Maybe that amp sounds great except for when you step on your reverb pedal.

ce24 and PhredE like this.
  4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

https://www.roland.com/us/products/blues_cube_artist/specifications/

No sensitivity/efficiency info provided. Cut/pasted from product page:
    Speaker 30 cm (12 inches) x 1

..and that's ALL you get. (Not good enough for me as a consumer..)

IME, a dearth of information about a product usually translates to 'not brag-worthy'.

Geez, they don't even say whether the output is into 4 or 8 ohms.. Knowing that would help at least a little.

The speakers may be rated to handle 80 or even 100 WRMS, but that in no way indicates it's relative efficiency.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  5. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Do you have a recording from this session to show the wife as proof? That is your ticket to that NAD man, seize this moment!!!

rickthescot and PhredE like this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Indeed. (I added the boldface).

I have scanned hundreds of guitar speaker descriptions and many others, and my experience is that most 'stock' guitar speakers fall into a rating between about 93db to 97db on the upper end.
    Some Eminence options currently available:

the Emi C-Rex is 101.9db, ($90)
    the Swamp Thang is a 102db, ($110)
    the Tonker is a 101.5db, ($100)
    the RW & B is 101db, ($80)
    and the 1258 is a 100db unit ($75).

I can't speak about the Weber units as I can't find published ratings, but in my experience with the company on related stuff, they have been stellar for product quality and customer service. I have no reason to doubt they also offer an outstanding speaker.
    Bottom line is: if a player wants good output (setting aside the fuzzy issue of 'tone'..), you generally have to pay for it -- either up front, as part of an amp's overall cost, or, later, as an add-on / upgrade.

The chart here is something that does a good job of laying out the power vs efficiency relationship:
    (No affiliation, just a good chart I found one day accompanied by a good explanation):

FYI-- He prefaces his explanation with the following:

• I want more power!
      No, you really want more SPL.
    http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spl.html

The amp ('power') is one [equal] half of the power/output continuum.
    The speaker is the other half.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It's a good point. Some rooms are terrible. it's amazing how a room can change things.

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You need to play much more quietly in a live room like that. And the drummer needs to really restrain himself or the whole sound turns to mush.

Open back amps need to have a wall about 2 feet behind them if they're going to sound good.

No matter what you do, the mix is going to be horrid in a lively room. Increasing the volume just makes it worse.

markal, telemnemonics and SRHmusic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.