1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Today I ran out of amp...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Grateful Ape, Apr 18, 2021.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

There’s a reason why mandolins and banjos cut so well.

Try an eq pedal before you buy an amp. Every electric guitarist should have an eq pedal.

stevemc likes this.
  2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tell the bass player to turn down.

billy logan likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

With all the dirty talk from people wanting to be quieter it’s nice to hear there are still folks who want to rock.
    Post pics on your NAD!

AlbertoMilanese and cyclopean like this.
  4. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

The environment affects everything.
    1... Stay closer to your amp in a big room or outdoors. Like right behind or beside you on a chair or a road case so you hear it directly.
    2... More speakers pushes more air. Again don't get too far from your amp. My little Princeton sounds fine in a small bar with a low ceiling, but on an outdoor festival stage or large room w high ceiling, I need my Bandmaster w open back 2x12, and there's no problem getting a fat sound with great presence.
    A small amp outdoors is like spitting at the moon.

JRapp likes this.
  5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cue the twin reverb!

Jowes_84, Greenmachine and modavis99 like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I refer you to the most obvious solution:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/your-bedroom-amp-if-you-live-outside.1059413/

7. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Amps and guitars sound different at full volume with a band. That’s what makes chasing tone so much fun

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I had a blues cube stage for a while, loved it at home, it was ok at rehearsals, ok but a little weird sounding at an outdoor gig, didn't like it at all on an indoor gig. Lots of volume but never seemed to cut through, or it just sounded weird in a band mix.

Since then I went back to tubes, but the only gig I played after selling the blues cube was using a buddy's basic blues junior, which sounded fantastic that night with that band. Now I'm rehearsing with an AC30 and happy as a clam.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don’t fall into into the “I went to one rehearsal in an unfamiliar environment and wasn’t happy so I’m going to change/add/buy gear” trap.

Just don’t. This will of course be complicated by coming to a bunch of enablers for advice.

Those 85w Blues Cubes are damn loud. At least as loud as a Healthy Hot Rod deluxe. And have plenty of mids and fullness.

Check with the same rig at home. It’s probably something stupid. Bumped amp or pedal EQ. Pedal on you didn’t realize. Too many pedals on. Bad patch cable. Plugged into wrong amp input. Patch cable plugged into or coming out of the wrong pedal input or output. Added a pedal and it is interacting funny with pedals around it.

Or your ears were funny that night.

Trouble shoot the rig at home. If it all sounds good there, go back with same rig. If still sounds off, place your phone in middle of room during song and record to make sure what you hear in front of the amp is accurate. Keep in mind full for guitar is mids, not the bass knob.

You don’t need a new or different amp. You don’t need an extra cab. That amp is plenty loud. And plenty full.

10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Marshall only goes to ten but sounds like twelve. Actually I have a HRD time getting past four.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I could be wrong but IMO if a $700 tube amp doesn't sound right without a $70 battery operated eq pedal correcting something, you chose the wrong amp!

drlucky, PBO Blues and SRHmusic like this.
  12. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

If the bass player stays mostly out of your frequency range, then everything's good. The bass player should be able to give a pleasant punch to the solar plexus with an excellent tone, thumping sound. Maybe the bass player's going for guitar-like sustain and giving the band a muddy sound? Types of speakers, cabinets, bolt the bass cab to the wooden riser, witchcraft, type of strings, even. There's EQ ... and there's intangibles. Yeah, stuff's different at hi-volume.

Let the bass player, w/wireless or a long cord, go out in the middle of the room to assess.

It may not seem like it, but I do like loud :)

Bass frequencies - less directional than treble frequencies, yes. But what's counter-intuitive is that bass players may not know how loud they are in the room. A 4-year jazz program graduate told me that he found out, after his crucial senior recital for the faculty, he had been too loud. And I'm sure that the academic setting there was ...clinical?...less echo-y than Grateful Ape's rehearsal room.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

A 50 Watt SS amp is really a practice amp. Maybe can cut it for rehearsals in a small room, but not gonna work in a live, rockin environment in a large spacious room.

In my opinion a "stage amp" is a combo in the 40-50 watt range (tube) though in some ensembles something a lil less can get the job done...a good 40watt tube amp will leave you meat on the bone.

Its not about pure volume, its power and headroom to mix in WITHOUT having to run the amp stupid hot.

-Marshall DSL 40 (Great if you dig 2channel)
    -Fender Super Reverb
    -Fender Hot Rod
    -Vox AC-30 (not a "headroom" amp, but really loud)
    -Fender Blues Deville
    -Peavey Classic 30/50

Or many, many others.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  14. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Did you have it on an angled stand over a concrete floor and brick or glass windows around? In that situation it can get thinner sounding. You can put a gig bag or rug behind it to help.

Also, you didn't by chance leave a wah pedal on by accident? (Ask me how I know...)

I have a BCA and it can get very loud, no problem keeping up with drums, tube amps, etc. To keep stage volume down we mic our amps. For good stage volume, I have it set at about 3 to 3.5 on 45W. Just right. Any louder I need earplugs if it's pointing at my head.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  15. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The gen 1 and 2 HRD volume control is very nonlinear, made very loud at like 1.5 or 2 and not that much louder from 4 up. One of the common mods is to put in a reasonable taper volume pot. Not sure if they made it any better in gen 3 or 4.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I paid way less for that than my eq pedal new.

17. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

I need to tell the horn section to turn down. ;)

18. Grateful Ape

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  19. Grateful Ape

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm just after a loud, punchy clean that feels good and doesn't disappear under the horn onslaught :)

20. Grateful Ape

So the setup was:
    • On a chair or on floor
    • Room had a hardwood floor, brick walls, no curtains
    • Tried amp on a variety of power settings including 85w
    • Bass about 10 o'clock, mids about 1-2 o'clock, treble about 10 o'clock.
    • Tried punching it up a little with an EP style boost

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.