1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Today’s rock trivia - Neil Young

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have all those album and saw all the tours, and while I do like the albums would concede they're generally not his absolute best ever but sure are all pretty good, and the tours of the International Harvesters, Trans Solo/Band, Shocking Pinks, Bluenotes, along with Crazy Horse covering the Landing on Water album, were all fantastic. These were not Neil just making garbage to give Geffen the finger, he gave each album and tour his all in pursuit of exploration and excellence (these bands were damned good), not to mention a lot going on his personal life to spur him on to go off the rails a bit musically. A true artist brave enough to follow his muse. If I remember correctly, later on he and Geffen reconciled personally and put the whole mess behind them.

Suproman, Boreas and Wally like this.
  2. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

At his best

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Old Plank and Boreas like this.
  3. Jimy

Jimy TDPRI Member

When Geffen signed Neil Young to his label, the two went way back and knew each other well. David Geffen specifically promised Neil artistic freedom. But when Neil released "Trans" it was so far out there that it was beyond anything Geffen had ever imagined him doing. David was under a lot of pressure at the time, including financial pressure, so he kinda lost it and demanded Neil make a "rock and roll album." Neil is one of the stubbornest, grudge-holding-est people that has ever walked the earth. So he made a 50's style rock album just to spite Geffen ("Everybody's Rockin"). Geffen responded by suing Neil for breach of contract and "making records uncharacteristic of Neil Young" which, in a business sense, was sorta true. To this day, Neil still says "how can you sue me for making records uncharacteristic of me?" and you can still hear the anger in his voice.

The happy ending is that Neil won the case and Geffen eventually apologized... sincerely. Neil came out the other side of whatever he was going through artistically and went on to make many (characteristically Neil Young) records. On the surface, the story is a classic businessman vs artist conflict. Creative types vs the suits. Those who value money vs those who value creative expression. But if you look closer, it's also the story of two unyielding men who were going through personal changes. They came into conflict and were unable to find any reasonable way to reconcile their new-found differences. So they acted out in stubborn, angry, and very public ways. Eventually, they got over it and the rest of us were entertained by yet another example of the folly, pride, and vanity of the human condition.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Young made a valid album when he made Trans, imho. It was way ahead of its time in its vision and technology. You can hear the recording techniques that he used in recordings that were made decades later. As for the vision of the use of computer and robotic/automaton ic technology in our society....

And the lyrics. What he decribed almost forty years ago is coming to pass....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sample+to+hold+lyrics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

In the world of cinema, the movie “Cherry 2000” deals with the same subject. And yes, I like that movie as well. I just watched the latest movie dealing with the subject.....Ex Machina. Good one, imho. New World........

Old Plank, Digital Larry and Boreas like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Then, just for today and hopefully for all the tomorrows to come.....

Old Plank likes this.
  6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You want some Neil trivia?? What funky singer/bassist did he play in a band with loooong ago?

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Colo Springs E likes this.
  8. leftyfrank

leftyfrank TDPRI Member

Rick James, I believe!

Colo Springs E and Digital Larry like this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Indeed. I was rooting for Neil to win the Oscar for this one. First time I ever teared up in a movie when this started playing.

Old Plank likes this.
  10. tele advocate

tele advocate TDPRI Member

mynah-1.jpg

Old Plank and Boreas like this.
  11. tele advocate

tele advocate TDPRI Member

Fantastic solo or with Promise of the Real as well
    solo-potr.jpg

Old Plank likes this.
  12. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

At least the lawyers made a few bucks ..

13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Imo, Neil is a curious person on a mission of musical exploration.

I like most of what hes done and where hes been.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his music.

His personal life/relationships is another story...

...but, none of my business.

Old Plank likes this.
  14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I’d have to disagree on this one. The quote, from Young’s manager, at the end of the law suite section of this Wikipedia page is telling. Made a year before the troubles too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody's_Rockin'

I think @Jimy made some good points too.

Pax/
    Dean

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Called "Ricky James Matthews" in those days.

The credits on the Buffalo Springfield Again mention Mr. Matthews, along with Lester Pearson and others.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just wanna know why the CSN + Y album "American Dream" is such a hunk of junk.

This was 1986. Who could have imagined things being as they are now, in 2020? With David Crosby on top (IMO) at the present?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.