1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

To thineline or not to thinline......

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by telechadster, Dec 8, 2012.

1. telechadster

telechadster Tele-Meister

So about to start my first build (like so many here). I always intended to do a thinline, I'm a hollow body kinda guy, and have long drooled over telemasters. But trying to be at least somewhat reasonable, i talked myself into starting simpler, and doing a solid body first. Got my wood (a couple warmoth body blanks.....better to prepare to start over with a second on hand), but now that I have it, I'm concerned about weight. I intend to do a double bound, no contours.....so no real weight relief. So, now I'm thinking thinline again. My dilemma is top wood. Seems like it will increase the cost quite a bit, but more so seems like it's harder to find decent top wood that doest require more prep work than I'm likely equipped to handle. Reading stewmac top feedback, seems like lots of theirs is warped and not cut very good, warmoth doesn't carry tops, so searching out other options.
    Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

It's not cheap, but it's a good source..
    http://www.oregonwildwood.com/

No affiliation, but I am a very satisfied customer. These guys get the good stuff.

As a suggestion, I recommend you start your first build with Home Depot wood and develop your skills with that before slicing and dicing costly woods. Your wallet will suffer less, and you can chalk it up to experience with less heartbreak when things don't go as expected.

3. telechadster

Wow great selection for sure, prices not too bad.
    Your suggestion would most definitely be the wisest way forward.....but I'm already all in. We'll see how she goes, hopefully I won't regret too much, trying to be as thorough as possible with research here and intend to take the time to do it right. But famous last words for sure....haha

4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

How about use the wood that you have and rout out the backside leaving enough for the front surface?

5. telechadster

That seems like it'd be a lot of routing. Found a nice top for 50 bucks, we'll see how that goes...

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

You have a source of very nice tops near you. Where did you find the $50.00 top?

7. telechadster

From the link above, Oregon wild woods. Will see about joining the 2 sides, will need to read up a bit more to do that right, but should be interesting.

8. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Vancouver, Canada? You could also look at http://www.windsorplywood.com/ for future builds; I haven't gotten there to check out their supply in person, but the website looks promising.

9. Peter C

Peter C Tele-Meister

If it is vancouver bc than I suggest trying Bow River Woods in chilliwack. Yes it is farer to travel East than West in the lower mainland :lol: but think it is worth it. I am just building two tele's and I needed top wood due to some weight relief I did and got some Canadian Cyprus -18.00 for each top. They have figured maple for 35.00. I think the prices are fair and there were more options than I thought they would have in stock. They seemed to be pretty good to deal with -Check out the site for some of the tops available. Check out the tops for acoustics - that's where I decided to use Canadian Cyprus for a tele top as something different. ( and before anyone says it - I know, i know - it isn't really cyprus but it does go by cdn cypress as one of its AKA's) Good luck on the build.

http://www.bowriverwoods.com/

10. jmoore65

jmoore65 Tele-Meister

11. telechadster

Yeah I'd actually checked these guys out, thinking about getting some fretboards off them. Definitely nice stuff

12. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Your probably right. Only someone that doesn't know what they are getting into would go that route. :oops:

[​IMG]

13. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Windsorplywoods has a very misleading name, I went to the one in Pentiction, and oh my god I almost died. Any wood you could imagine. But I think a HomeDepotCaster, or Rona caster is a good idea, I used mahogany for my first build, but only because I had a cheap source, it's hard stuff to work with.

14. telechadster

Wow, haha. Some determination!

15. johnnyfamous

johnnyfamous TDPRI Member

i would definitely check out these guys, I have bought allot from them and there prices are fair. they also list on ebay and you can find some smoking deals... mostly west coast canadian maple though...

http://www.fine-woods.com/products.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.