To the non-pro players among us: Why do you play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

you're a musician

you can fight it, you can knock it down a bit, you can tell yourself it's just a hobby, but the truth will keep coming back to your mental doorstep

you were probably born that way

that's why you keep playing

Mississippi_Kid and ukepicker like this.
  2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Don't worry. It wasn't all that confusing. Somefolks just like to nit pick.

3. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Brother, you answered your own question in the first two paragraphs.
    As for the last paragraph? "Yes" but also "and."
    For everything the guitar gives you, I wouldn't give it up. I feel much the same way. But I do find yard work therapeutic.
    In addition to the reasons you give above, i keep playing and writing with the idea that I will gig again in the future. But I haven't in eight years.
    Eight years ago, the band was successive in a pretty much continuous string of bands going back almost two decades. With that came a grandfathered-in prioritization in my life. In taking a break, I lost music's slot in the priority list and now it's further down. If you give up your gear and later regret the decision you may have similar problems fitting it into your life if you pick the guitar again.

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating what someone has said before.

So... Playing is one of the things that gets you through the day, and you want to give it up?

Not everything has to be productive in a material sense. Using that logic, even yard work isn't productive- that grass is growing back before you're even to the far end of the yard.

I would suggest taking a closer look at where your stress is coming from (job? Family obligations? Those are the two big ones for me) and tackle those issues, rather than look at giving up something that helps and makes your life better. Unless you tackle the actual problem head on, it will not go away.

Now don't get me wrong- there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break or even quitting if you just don't feel it anymore- but the tone of your posts leads me to believe there's more to the issue than you're willing to share in public.

My life wouldn't be any different if I didn't play, but it would be a hell of a lot darker.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  5. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

Because it's inevitable.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey man, I found that definition on the internet of what wanking on the guitar is. So, it must be true! ;)

7. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I play because I can't not play. It's just like speaking English for me. I think guitar all the time.

stratoman1 likes this.
  8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I play for the chicks.....
    But really, the creativity, the stress relief, the therapy, the self satisfaction of improvement, making music with my friends and family, all these things from my guitar. What's not to love? I think it's unhealthy for me NOT to play.

stratoman1 likes this.
  9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'd feel off balance if I didn't play

nadnitram likes this.
  10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

When I was young I played tennis, got pretty good at it and it was a real hoot. Now I'm old and watch it on TV knowing the thrill is gone. It's the same with making music or just listening to it. Not the same thrill at all.

11. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Well ,there are a lot of really great actors out there who speak really well. Should you stop talking?

12. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I try to focus on what playing is to me not what I wish it was (and realistically never will be). I suck and I'm having a blast. And I'm not going to let the things I can't do steal the joy of the things I can.

raysachs likes this.
  13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I enjoy the DIY aspect of it. I built my first electric guitar from the ground up, after being told how difficult and complex a guitar was, and that I should never even attempt to fix or repair a guitar because I'll obviously break it since I'm not a Fender certified guitar tech. Add in the pure feeling of accomplishment when I nail that chord just right, and take the song I'm playing from a simple reproduction to something that's in my own voice and style, and that's a thrill that can't easily be matched.

I'm a creative guy. I like having total freedom inside a given set of rules or confines. I thrive in work environments like that, I dig sandbox and simulation videogames, and playing guitar allows me to explore that same feeling of curiosity in a completely different way.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Can't ride my motorcycle any more, so music is the next thing for stress relief. There is also the learning thing. No matter how good you get, there is always something you can't do or know how to.

15. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I always wanted to play guitar and, once I started, I couldn't stop. If I'm in a stressful period, I find playing guitar still takes my mind off of everything for a little while and, even if I'm in a good mood, I still get giddy when I write a cool riff or play a good solo.

On stage, I enjoy playing even if something's off but I feel real joy when the folks get on their feet and start dancing. It makes me feel good to know I facilitated others enjoying themselves.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

By this definition, I was a pro for 25 years and have been a non-pro for about 25 more. I still get paid to play, but today I'm only doing it for the joy of it. Joy! I was 8 years old when I went to my big sister's high school talent show in 1958. These two guys in leather jackets and D.A. hairdos walked out to the middle of the gymnasium floor with big fat-bodied electric guitars strapped on and little tweed covered amps in their hands. They put the amps down, plugged up, and started to wail. It was absolutely electrifying! I looked around me and saw that most of the people were having the same reaction I was - smiling, shouting and clapping their hands. That was absolutely it! Sure, I've been frustrated and wished I was better at doing this. But today I accept where I am. Last night I played a little club near my house. I carried equipment, setup, tore down, and played and sang for 4 hours and only made 125 bucks. But the experience gave me unbridled Joy. I looked out in the room and there we were, smiling, shouting and clapping our hands, 60 years later. Joy!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Kinda like asking: "To the non-professional cooks here, why do you cook?

Modernelove and JayFreddy like this.
  18. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I play to bother my dogs and cats... ;)

19. nadnitram

nadnitram Tele-Meister

I guess I'm blessed that even simple concepts still represent progress for me.

ahnadr likes this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Couldn't have said it better if I had to. I mean, I try to learn new stuff - I even grab an internet lesson every now and then to try to expand my playing a bit. I too suck, except within a very narrow window where I don't quite suck, but just as I spent 15 year doing somewhat hard core cycling all the while knowing I was NEVER gonna ride in the Tour De France, let alone win it, I don't play guitar to be as good as people I'll never be even remotely close to as good as, I play to enjoy it and be as good as I can be while still enjoying it. Sometimes when I spend $10 on a group of lessons and I do a couple, I just need to take some time to just go back to my aimless noodling before I start working on the next technique. When the work starts to feel more like work than fun, I take a break and just have fun and then get back to it when I'm motivated...

-Ray

nadnitram, Stubee and richa like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.