To take the gig or not?

Doe74

TDPRI Member
Tell him no. Block his number. Continue the life you’ve been living without him.

kennl

Tele-Afflicted
I have tried to get some information from him like: what time is it? where is it? (and this all through text) but he's short with me and won't answer my questions.

A GIG has a start and end time, a location, and a payment agreement.
You are discussing an illusion, not a gig

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
A friend of mine who plays private and corporate gigs reached out to me yesterday to see if I was available for a gig on Friday.

I was tight with this person for a period of years and even was roommates with him for 3 years before his constant late nights of drinking, having people over, playing his piano at 3 in the morning, while I was trying to sleep because I had to get up to work at 7, drove me to move out. It wasn't always like that, just to be clear. That only happened a few months before I had enough.

Over the last several years this guy has burnt many bridges in the local musician community (which is kind of small) for many reasons and has even got himself into trouble with the law. The reason for this is, long story short, he's had some life events that have happened in the last 10 years: failed marriage, his Dad dying, that have turned him into a severe alcoholic. From what I have heard too, it's even affected his playing. I have not seen him a few years primarily because his lifestyle is the complete opposite of mine but all the stories I have heard from fellow musicians who have seen him at either jam sessions, or sitting in at gigs (or trying to) have been bad: Drunk, playing out of tune, and just a basic trainwreck.

Anyway, he's asked me to play this gig which is "Good pay", $350. Not bad but it's not local, at least a 2 hour drive, to the location and probably a 3-4 hour gig. I don't really need the money, which is a good thing and I feel like the gig will be less fun than I would like not to mention the late night getting home.

I have tried to get some information from him like: what time is it? where is it? (and this all through text) but he's short with me and won't answer my questions. At this point I feel like I have already made up my mind to NOT take the gig. On the other hand, because this guy was at one point a close friend, I feel like I want to take the gig just to see how he's doing. Who knows, it could be fun but, the last gig I played with him was just okay. Plus the material is usually music that I don't enjoy playing to begin with.

Has anyone else on here had a similar experience?

Ok... here's my version of the lowdown...

1) CALL him!
2) Get the specifics, city, address, venue, time. If acceptable, proceed to 3 below.
3) Get a rehearsal set up.
4) Reserve the right to back out of the project if the rehearsal goes south.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Ok... here's my version of the lowdown...

1) CALL him!
2) Get the specifics, city, address, venue, time. If acceptable, proceed to 3 below.
3) Get a rehearsal set up.
4) Reserve the right to back out of the project if the rehearsal goes south.
+1

Why are people afraid to make a phone call? Texting is great, but it has limits.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
...I was tight with this person for a period of years and even was roommates with him for 3 years before his constant late nights of drinking, having people over, playing his piano at 3 in the morning, while I was trying to sleep because I had to get up to work at 7, drove me to move out....this guy has burnt many bridges in the local musician community... has even got himself into trouble with the law....failed marriage...a severe alcoholic...affected his playing....Drunk, playing out of tune, and just a basic trainwreck....this gig which is "Good pay", $350... it's not local, at least a 2 hour drive...I don't really need the money...I feel like the gig will be less fun than I would like not to mention the late night getting home. I have tried to get some information from him like: what time is it? where is it? (and this all through text) but he's short with me and won't answer my questions... the last gig I played with him was just okay. Plus the material is usually music that I don't enjoy playing to begin with....
IT seems pretty self evident what you should do.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A friend of mine who plays private and corporate gigs reached out to me yesterday to see if I was available for a gig on Friday.

I was tight with this person for a period of years and even was roommates with him for 3 years before his constant late nights of drinking, having people over, playing his piano at 3 in the morning, while I was trying to sleep because I had to get up to work at 7, drove me to move out. It wasn't always like that, just to be clear. That only happened a few months before I had enough.

Over the last several years this guy has burnt many bridges in the local musician community (which is kind of small) for many reasons and has even got himself into trouble with the law. The reason for this is, long story short, he's had some life events that have happened in the last 10 years: failed marriage, his Dad dying, that have turned him into a severe alcoholic. From what I have heard too, it's even affected his playing. I have not seen him a few years primarily because his lifestyle is the complete opposite of mine but all the stories I have heard from fellow musicians who have seen him at either jam sessions, or sitting in at gigs (or trying to) have been bad: Drunk, playing out of tune, and just a basic trainwreck.

Anyway, he's asked me to play this gig which is "Good pay", $350. Not bad but it's not local, at least a 2 hour drive, to the location and probably a 3-4 hour gig. I don't really need the money, which is a good thing and I feel like the gig will be less fun than I would like not to mention the late night getting home.

I have tried to get some information from him like: what time is it? where is it? (and this all through text) but he's short with me and won't answer my questions. At this point I feel like I have already made up my mind to NOT take the gig. On the other hand, because this guy was at one point a close friend, I feel like I want to take the gig just to see how he's doing. Who knows, it could be fun but, the last gig I played with him was just okay. Plus the material is usually music that I don't enjoy playing to begin with.

Has anyone else on here had a similar experience?
Gig? Yes!
Oh wait, I read the rest of the post. Nope. I’d leave that one alone.