To strip, or not to strip?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LoudTele, Aug 1, 2010.

1. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

I got a good deal on a "loaded" SG body on eBay, and now I want to refinish it. I kind of like it the way it is, but it's for my daughter, for whom aesthetics are pretty important. It's black, and I think it's a catalyzed urethane paint. I want to paint it white, then she wants to do some hand painted detail before we clear it.

Am I better off stripping it down to bare wood, or just roughing up the existing paint? The paint I plan to use (AutoAir) is water based and compatible with a urethane base. I've used it before over urethane before with good results, but just on a headstock, not a whole guitar.

Having read all the posts about the effect of paint on tone, I'm worried that adding enough white to cover the black thoroughly, plus a clear coat, plus what's there already may make this sound like crap.

So, is it worth the effort to take this down to bare wood? Or should I scuff it up and hope for the best?

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would strip as a last option it always leads to more problems just a pain. The old finish would act as a good base coat. As for the finish affecting the tone on solid body guitar? If it did (doubtful) you would never notice

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

What SacDAve said.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

No way I would strip it down. Why strip off a flat, level finish just to try to put it back on?

5. tonebrulee

tonebrulee Tele-Meister

My take is that the question of tone as related to finish type/thickness is vastly overstated. Sure, if you're doing a custom build or a refin on a vintage instrument, shoot a thin nitro finish and enjoy it's beauty as it ages. Other than that though, I'd agree with others here to use the existing finish as a base. If the finish is especially thick, you can use an orbital sander + 150 grit to bring the main front/back flat surfaces down a bit.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play the guitars I build before I apply finish(mock up) and after. I can't tell a freakin' difference. If you can't tell a difference from bare wood to painted finish, then I aint buying theres a big difference between two types of paint or clear.

7. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like you all saved me some work!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.