To Rout or Not to Rout?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JayFreddy, Aug 3, 2014.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, that is the question! :cool:

I was thinking of putting a humbucker in the neck of an 07 Highway One Tele, got the pickup and pickguard all picked out, but I just realized that it will require additional routing.

A pickup swap isn't a big deal, but routing is a permanent change that can't be undone, so I'm a bit hesitant.

Personally I like the Highway Ones and they seem to be appreciating in value since they've been discontinued.

Maybe it's no big deal, but I lived through the era of people routing 50's Strats for Floyds, and I don't wanna be one of "those guys"...

I'm just playing around with my toys. I don't have a compelling need for a humbucker in the neck, it just seems like fun.

Maybe I should find a Squier or MIM body to experiment with... What say ye?

2. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

You sound a bit uncertain about it so I would go for a Squier or similar that has the HB rout already done for you. It can always be reverted to original spec then. Can't remember if MIMs are pre-routed or not...

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Squier CV has HB routing for the neck. Or at least my Blonde does. Seems like you could pick up a body for not that much.

4. JayFreddy

Shoulda' got one of those Bullet Squiers when they were on sale! Doh! ;)

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

As long as it's done neatly routing on that guitar shouldn't be a problem. It's the routing that's done with a screwdriver that you need to look out for.

6. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

A highway 1 is never going to be as valuable as those old guitars you mentioned so don't let that worry you.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Won't something bad happen when you make a hole in the thin skin that keeps the tone in?

8. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Keeping a guitar for resale value is a fools errand (I've tried that in the past). I would say, do what you want. Just make sure the work is good quality, not a hack job.

To specifically answer your question- I would route it. I would tape off the top of the body, use a template, and route it myself. Done slowly, and patiently- you could get some really quality work done.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There you go.

Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to take a router to the Highway One if that's what I wanted to do. They've been produced in such a quantity that I doubt they'll ever become collector's items. And, the nice thing about routing for a bridge pickup is that unless you really screw up the pickguard will hide any mistakes.

10. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

I'd rout. I have a friend that has a really early 52 reissue that he routed for a second bridge pickup in between where the neck and actual neck pickup would go. He also drilled for a bigsby with the bridge that comes on jags and jazzmasters.

I thought the first year reissues were supposed to be more valuable maybe, but that guitar is a crazy tone machine now and totally unique to the player.

I recommend doing mods to make the thing yours over keeping a new fender in original condition. Vintage is another story. I don't think newer fenders ever will have that value unless the company is sold to an overseas company. The modern equivalent to the cbs era.

11. Tel E Twister

Tel E Twister Tele-Meister

You should use a template and a pattern bit, and clamp it down. Things can out of control real fast- like blink of an eye fast. Bondo works for wood, but not for fingers.(I am a woodworker,Gen);)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Do it.

Do it well.

That is all.

13. JayFreddy

I think I'm going to do it. One of my regular techs has a nice drill press. He should be able to use it to make a nice clean rout... I'll ask him for a quote.

Thanks again for your insights and encouragement! :)

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A route for a P-90 will accept a P-90, a guard mounted mini hum or a standard Tele pickup. Someone with a router and a pattern can make it look like a factory job.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it all leaks out. Everybody knows that. ;)

16. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I'm over in Fort Worth..... We're in the middle of a move right now, but if you still need it done in a month or so, I'd love to help out

17. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

I am assuming the rout is not already hiding under the pickguard.

Look into the Seymour Duncan lil 59 double stack humbucker that fits into the same space as a tele pickup. I know they have them for the bridge pickup. Maybe the Strat model is all they have for the neck position. Check up on that.

If you are going to rout you need to use a template. Scribe the hole that will be routed with a pencil or whatever, and then use a forstner bit on a drill press to remove a lot of material up close to the line. Set the stop on the drill press so it doesn't go too deep. Once you get it close then you can use a router to take off the fine stuff.

You can rout the whole thing is possible but it takes a lot of patience and you can only take a little bit at a time. If you rush it then you can run into problems such as was mentioned earlier in this post.

Another alternative is to add a humbucker full sized in the middle position. That way you keep the Tele all original plus the humbucker. All kinds of switching is possible with that.

Here is another alternative if you like it hot. Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Tele pickup. No routing needed. http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMSHR1B

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.